cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Modeling a Ring Lug in 5 Minutes

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Modeling a Ring Lug in 5 Minutes

This video is to show how to model a realistic ring lug in 5 minutes using the Warp feature.

Enjoy! 

Edit:  I have added the Creo 2.0 model as an attachment.  This includes a few relations under the Wrap feature to make it more dynamic. 

I also uncovered a bug in creating relations to the depth values.  This has been reported and I will update the status when I get an answer or resolution.  I suspect it will initiate an SPR. **

One relation is the angle which is optional, but the second is the width of the marquee.  The marquee does not update if the part width changes.  I set the width of the marquee to the width of the initial extrude.

The part file is reasonably robust but it should be even more dynamic although -huge- in reality since the units is still inches.  You can change the model units to mm at 1:1 or you can change the values to your liking if you want to remain with inches.

Once the depth bug is resolved, you can make a full series of lugs with family tables.

** SPR 2207864 has been submitted for managaging the Warp feature's Depth value.

This is the video I submitted with the support case.  If you find more instances of this bug, please report them: My case # is C11778681 for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYyoJquh8c

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I did a similar lug with the sheetmetal module.  Odd thing when rolling a metal bend is the poor tangency of the transition zone. 

I also couldn't keep control of where the default planes would be.  The entire lug "rolled away" from it's default location.

Anyone have any fixes for this in the sheet metal module? 

Gold is the warp version and silver is sheet metal rolled bend with a transition zone.

ringlug_smt_vs_warp.PNG

This is from Srinivasan C Iyer using sheetmetal to create the lug.

Thank you for your contribution, Srinivasan!

...and a sheet metal verion of a faston.  Haven't found a good way to do this with Warp.  Maybe a hybrid.  Stay tuned!

smt_faston.PNG

This one was a bear.  I modeled it in sheet metal to get the double bends but had to convert it to a normal part file to warp the barrel, meaning all the parametric sheet metal features were lost.

There is a trick in here, however.  The marquee of the warp is hard to control when it comes to the spin axis.  You can center it to the geometry but when you need to offset it, there is no way to control the movement.  If you dig into the attached model (attached to the orignal post), you will see how this was solved.

This model is to scale in inches.  It is a standard 1/4" faston.  Creo 2.0.

dot250_faston.PNG

I have added the dot250_smt_quick_connect.prt to the original document.

In this instance, the part if fully parametric using the sheetmetal module although it will not generate a flat pattern.  Not that it ever needs to.

I made an extrude as the first feature for the barrel.  Next, I added a blend for the transition, and finally added the flat "flange" which was trimmed to make the two curls with a simple bend.  Finally the transition and the barrel were trimmed to add the final touch.

Although a bit temperamental, it is fully parametric for creating similar parts.  The key feature to provide strength to these quick connects is the width at the transition.  I feel I've captured this and meets the Molex 1/4" 12-14 quick connect specification.  An insulator barrel could easily be added for other versions.

Although it took many efforts to make this part, in the end I think it can be done in relatively short order having learned this technique.  Feel free to review the part and adjust it.  The barrel diameter can easily be changed for appropriate wire gauges.  The other standards sizes include .11" and .205". 

dot250_parametric_faston.PNG

Here is a quick run-through on the process: (remember to up the resolution!)

Top Tags