cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Modeling an "Impact" in Mechanica

ptc-1623377
1-Newbie

Modeling an "Impact" in Mechanica

I work for a company that does heat treatment involving quenching. Is there any way in mechanica to model an "impact" i.e. a part being lowered into a water quench bath at a fairly high velocity (2 to 3 ft/s)? Just want to model the loads at the moment of impact, if possible. Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

What type of impact loads are you trying to simulate, impact from thermal shock or impact between the water surface and the part?

not thermal lods, structural. Impact of the part hitting the water

Generally the simulation of impact forces between objects is performed using an explicit solver and to my knowledge Pro/Mechanica is not able to solve problems using an explicit solver methodology. One solution to your problem would be to make a few approximations and perform a static structural analysis on your part. Depending on the geometry of your part, journal articles may contain similar geometry along with pressure distributions and forces. If you are able to get a pressure distribution, a spatially varying pressure load can be applied to your model. A web search for “Wagner's theory� may also help for a pressure distribution. Another solution that may help is a web search for “explicit dynamics�.
Top Tags