cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Motion Skeleton Assembly References

DaltonF.
2-Guest

Motion Skeleton Assembly References

I'm attempting to assign a Bearing in an upper level assembly.

The way it works is as such:

Top_Level.ASM

Top_Level_Motion_Skeleton.ASM

Top_Level_Skeleton.PRT

Top_Level_Ground_Body.PRT

Top_Level_Input_Shaft_Body.PRT

Top_Level_Output_Shaft_Body.PRT

Input_Shaft.PRT Associated to Top_Level_Input_Shaft_Body.PRT

Input_Bearing.ASM MY QUESTION IS HERE

Input_Bearing_Motion_Skeleton.ASM

Input_Bearing_Skeleton.PRT

Input_Bearing_Ground_Body.PRT

Input_Bearing_Inner_Race_Body.PRT

Input_Bearing_Carrier_Body.PRT

Input_Bearing_Outer_Race.PRT

Input_Bearing_Inner_Race.PRT

Input_Bearing_Carrier.ASM Associated to Input_Bearing_Carrier_Body.PRT

Input_Bearing_Carrier_Motion_Skeleton.ASM

Input_Bearing_Carrier_Skeleton.PRT

Input_Bearing_Carrier_Ground_Body.PRT

Input_Bearing_Carrier_Carrier_Body.PRT

Input_Bearing_Carrier_Ball_Body.PRT Each ball has its own body and its own rotational axis

Output_Shaft.PRT

What I want to do is truly be able to complete this assembly with top down design methodology, but I am having trouble. When I try to assign the bearing to the upper level assembly, I need to assign it to both a rotating and fixed body. The rest of the motion is controlled by the gear pairings I have created.

Where I am having trouble is trying to use coordinate systems to define the body pairings. I have created coordinate systems in the Top level Motion Skeleton Bodies, and in the bearing bodies, but when I try to assign one part using multiple coordinate systems, it works at first. Then one or the other coordinate system takes over, and when I try to edit the placement, the program states that I have invalid assignments.

As I missing something here, or is this a limitation of the program to allow the assignment of two coordinate systems?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

The lines were truncated and moved to the next line, read the "associated to" lines as one and ignore the line lower. It messed up the model tree a bit

gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:DaltonF.)

I don't know much about Mechanism (I assume that is what this is about), but as far as I know, components of the Mechanism assembly are considered rigid, i.e. they move relative to each other, but the sub-components inside one component are fixed to each other.

What you would need, is a part of your component (the bearing) being fixed to one component and another part of it fixed to another, while the sub-components of your bearing component are moving relative to each other.

Can someone comment, whether this is possible?

Maybe a way to treat ground and carier as different Mechanism components?

Top Tags