cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Multi-language drawing management

ChrisLivermont
1-Newbie

Multi-language drawing management

I'm not quite sure if this is the correct forum for this question and I apologize if it isn't.

We are required to provide drawings to customers for review and approval before a project can begin. As we continue to grow into the global marketplace, our customer base becomes more and more diverse. In order to provide the best customer experience we can, we are having our drawings translated into the customer's language.

I am curious what methods exist for the management of drawings requiring translation to other languages. This isn't so much about how they are translated but rather how the translated information is managed. I have heard suggestions from folks within my company such as keeping the info on a second sheet, possibly a separate layer, or even separate drawings. The last option is definitely the least desirable from my point of view.

I welcome and appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks for your time!!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

This is a very interesting question as I was (perhaps arrogantly) under
the impression that - like aircraft controllers and naval officers -
English was the common language of Engineering. I can understand the
motives of the questioner obviously trying to deliver a better service
for his customer but what happens if there is a mistake in translation;
an error in measurement; a dimensional mistake from Metric to English.
Does the error then become the fault of the Engineer or the Translator?
Should a translated drawing be a second sheet where only the first sheet
is the released drawing? Who DOES have ownership of the translated data?
Hmmm.....

Richard A. Black

Lead Design Engineer

Eaton Corporation

440 Murray Hill Road

Southern Pines

NC 28387 USA

tel: 910 695 2905

fax: 910 695 2901

-

www.eaton.com

I worked in a large global corporation (1200 proe seats) that made the executive decision to standardize on english as the corporate language.

That's the great thing about standards, there are so many to choose from.

-marc

I've had to do that several times. We always put both languages on the drawing. We specify that the English language version takes precedence in the case of discrepancies. So there is a special double title block, double general notes, double entry in tables, etc. It makes for a big and unwieldy drawing.

In Reply to Chris Livermont:

I'm not quite sure if this is the correct forum for this question and I apologize if it isn't.

We are required to provide drawings to customers for review and approval before a project can begin. As we continue to grow into the global marketplace, our customer base becomes more and more diverse. In order to provide the best customer experience we can, we are having our drawings translated into the customer's language.

I am curious what methods exist for the management of drawings requiring translation to other languages. This isn't so much about how they are translated but rather how the translated information is managed. I have heard suggestions from folks within my company such as keeping the info on a second sheet, possibly a separate layer, or even separate drawings. The last option is definitely the least desirable from my point of view.

I welcome and appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks for your time!!

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

Top Tags