cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Multi level Cables versus Single level Cables

riaea
2-Guest

Multi level Cables versus Single level Cables

I'm looking for more pros and cons on this issue. We have discovered an issue with Multilevel cables.

On Multilevel cables, Creo Parametric "does not" read the cable diameter and minimum bend radius ! It is a known issue that the thickness and min_bend_radius is not brought over. The recommendations is to use assign_min_bend and assign_thickness on the <name>- item in the model tree.

I find this sad that this hasn't been fixed yet.

It's also interesting that Multi level cables are now overbraids and they don't autoroute. I'm sure there are some reason behind this, that I won't go into. There are some tweaks you have to do in order to manually route the overall diameter, but the diameter is not correct and you have to mess with parameters listed above, basically making the darn thing "non parametric".

This has a big impact on our shielded cable shapes with pairs. Because of this, we are leaning towards creating all of our cable shapes as single level

and removing the pairs and just the cable cosmetics to show the pairs. What are the draw backs doing it this way? One thing I see as you move pins around the cable cosmetics will get messy.

Please chime in if you have some comments on this.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
JimBarrettSmith
14-Alexandrite
(To:riaea)

Ray

What you are experiencing is not by design, please contact tech support who can investigate and report any issues to Development

thanks, Jim

Jim,

I logged a PTC call for this issue. I did notice that is was reported to R&D as SPR 2173669

There is a work around so,

I'm not sure if it's

1. Going to be fixed ?

2. Has been fixed ?

3. Will not be fixed ?

riaea
2-Guest

I logged a call. Case Details: 12351415

riaea
2-Guest

The problem with routing a multilevel cable is;

1. The overall diameter does not autoroute

2. The PTC fix is to create and modify an overbraid. It's a manual process, but the overall cable diameter is not correct.

An SPR 2256306 has been filed for the issue and is being investigated
by R&D.

See video for explaination

gkoch
1-Newbie

The link to the public article is here:
https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS198482

As I can see in the internal notes, there will be a little delay in the correction process, as the fix requires a couple of design decisions from Product Management.

Top Tags