cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Needing help with creating a involute tooth for a gear in creo

ptc-4563578
1-Newbie

Needing help with creating a involute tooth for a gear in creo

Hey everyone,

I've been having some trouble lately with creating a involute tooth in creo, however after searching the internet I was finally able to find this tutorial.

http://www.cadquest.com/books/pdf/gears.pdf

So far so good, until I get to task 6 and 8.

For task 6 I need to do the function "evaluate" which is found under Insert > Model datum, after changing some options in Creo. It ask me to do the evaluation with the second involute curve I have made and the top plane. I have tried to select both and then create it, but creo doesn't allow me. Am I missing something? For task 8 I need to create a relation with the two involute curves that I have already made I believe this can only be done once task 6 is done.

I would really appreciate any help! I need to get this done for some coursework I have! Help me if you can!

If anyone happens to find another tutorial that can create the proper involute curve please post it.

Thanks to anyone that replies!!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

If anyone can't help me with this is there another way to create the involute tooth profile?

I have looked around the forum before but I'm not able to access the ptc tutorials as I don't have the proper clearance with my current account.

Help please!!

Hi Palvindar...

I've been working on an involute gear profile and model for a design group within my company. It got sidetracked due to some other work that became critical. How soon do you need this model? I know everyone needs it "yesterday" but I am going to be away from the computer this weekend. Is this something I can take a look at again Monday?

Cadquest. <<Dry Heave>> Don't get me started on CadQuest... I could go on a 15 page rant about Cadquest.

Thanks!

-Brian

Yeah Monday is perfect! The lastest that I would need to create this model would have to be next week Friday.

Thanks alot!!!

-Palvindar

Thanks for your help but I was able to create the proper involute curve for the tooth with pro e with the help of a text book. The text book is called "Mechanical design modelling using pro/engineer" by Sridhar Condoor. It uses a older version of Pro e, but you kind of have to work around it. Despite that I was able to create the proper involute curve!

Hi Pavlindar...

That's excellent news. My work on the involute gear has been shifted... now we're doing a planetary gear box instead. I was able to reduce the involute gear to a simple relation and create the geometry I needed. Seems like you've already gotten there before I did!

Very resourceful using an older Pro/E book to help you solve the problem. Congratulations!

Take care..

-Brian

I thought I'd answer this for any future concerns.

FIRST - here's how to update the Wildfire 3.0 commands for Creo 2. (Later I'll address what may be a better alternative)

On task 6 - Cadquest says - Pick Insert, Model Datum, Evaluate

In Creo, you'll want to use Analysis, Measure, Angle. Save the angle measurement as a feature, with the name of measure.

In task 8 - Cadquest says - angle:FID_MEASURE + ( 7.5 / 2 )

The angle portion is because we are using the angle parameter. If we had measured a distance, it would be distance:FID_measure. The FID stands for feature ID and needs to be included. Measure is the name of the feature. If you had named your feature George, it would be angle:FID_George.

That being said - we use this tutorial as a basis for a relation driven family table of gears. This method usually works, but not always. We sometimes have issues getting the moved copies to properly rotate.

My alternative is to create a datum plane that intersects both the datum curve through the two points and the center axis. Then add another datum plane that is an angle offset from the previous one. The angle of rotation should be - (360/N)4, where N is the number of teeth.

I hope that helps. I'd be happy to continue the Relation / family table discussion if anyone is interested.

Top Tags