cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

No Datum planes on screen or in model tree. Help!

ptc-3278375
1-Newbie

No Datum planes on screen or in model tree. Help!

Hello,

I have successfully load CREO 2.0. But...when I start a new part, the main screen is blank. There is no datums or anything. I tried turning the datums on and off, changed the screen color, turned the layers on and off. I dont have any planes in the model tree either. What I am missing?

Help Appreciated.

Ryan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

I kow this might seem like a stupid response but does your start part have datums to begin with?

Hi Ryan...

First go to the tools menu on the model tree and make sure Features are being displayed... (reused graphic from another response yesterday - yay me!)...

features_assy_tree.png

Second... your parts will only have default datums if you want them. Most companies have a "start part" with pre-created datum planes, coordinate systems, views, parameters, layer names, and other useful configurations. At one time, someone from the company started with a completely BLANK part and added those things. They saved the pre-configured part as a template. From then on, instead of starting from a blank part, they open the template and begin there.

So... if you're just getting started, you may not have one of these template parts. You may just have a regular old blank part with literally nothing in it. If so, the first thing you should do is go to the Model tab and select Offset Planes from the Datum drop-down menu. See the image below...

offset_planes.png

This will create a default coordinate system and 3 planes offset from it. Simply enter "0" for the X, Y, and Z offset and you're off and running!

Once this is done, you might also want to set up different views, parameters, layers, etc. Save this as a template part (also called a "start part") and use it in all future models. When you start a new Creo part, make sure the Use Default Template checkbox is selected.

template_part.png

One final note: the template_solidpart option in your configuration settings controls the name and directory location of your template part. You can add or change this setting from the File->Options->Configuration Editor screen.

Thanks! I hope that helps...

-Brian

Top Tags