cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

No break between witness line and geometry

akelly
11-Garnet

No break between witness line and geometry

Using Wildfire 4 M220

I'm using GTOLs for parallelism, flatness, perpendicularity, etc. with tangent leaders / no arrow. When I plot the drawing, there's never a break between the geometry and the "witness line" (tangent leader). Dragging the handles on the GTOLs leader doesn't have an effect.

For the GTOLs I'm using, this is correct GTOL placement per ASME Y14.5-1994 (see attached)

How can I get a gap between the geometry and the witness line.

See attached for example

Andrew Kelly, P.E.
Design Engineer
Honeywell Sensing and Control
2080 Arlingate Lane
Columbus, OH 43228
Office: 614-850-7818
Toll Free: 800-848-6564
Fax: 614-850-1111
andrew.kelly@honeywell.com<">mailto:andrew.kelly@honeywell.com>

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

I have also been completely frustrated by this...

As far as I can tell... there is no way to get the witness-line break you want... another PTC failing.

I have resorted to placing the GTOL free in the drawing and manually placing them on an existing dimension line
that has an ANSI correct witness-line break.

A.DelNegro
4-Participant
(To:akelly)

That's a feature... not a bug.

Although it doesn't offer all the flexibility, another solution is to create a datum in the model, change it to a GDT datum, and then show it in the drawing. You can drag its leader to properly clip.

~Doug
akelly
11-Garnet
(To:akelly)

The .dtl / drawing property witness_line_offset has no effect on tangent leaders of feature control frames.

Dragging the handles of tangent leaders of feature control frames has no effect. (Dragging the handles of leaders of datum tags works.)

It's a feature, not a bug.

Work-around is to attach the tangent leader to a location WELL INSIDE the geometry. Add a break from INSIDE the geometry to a point outside the geometry.

Thanks to Frank for the work-around and sketch.

Andrew Kelly

Honeywell Sensing & Control
Top Tags