cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Open CADAM files from Intralink 9.1

RichardBorders
1-Newbie

Open CADAM files from Intralink 9.1

We inherited an Intralink 3.4 server and databasefromour plant in Canada when it was shutdown that contained 2D CADAM files.

When we upgraded and migrated our own Intralink 3.4 database to 9.1 we also combined the database from the Canada server.

But now we cannot open any of the CADAM files from Intralink 9.1.

I assume it's because 9.1 does not know which software to use.

How do I configure 9.1 to recognize these files?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Richard,

I haven't done this with CADAM but this is how I would approach it.

How are the CADAM files defined in Windchill 9.1: CAD Document or Document? I'm not aware of a Workgroup Manager for CADAM so I'm guessing they are Document objects in your system. Windchill takes the 'open with' file association from the Windows registry. If the CADAM file extensions are registered to open with CADAM then Windchill's open with functionality should pick it up. At least this is how Creo works. I don't know how it works if your CADAM workstations are UNIX. This means only someone with CADAM on their workstation can open CADAM files.

If the CADAM installer isn't writing file associations to the Windows registry I believe you can create the association manually from Windows Explorer using RMB > Open With > and choose the CADAM application. If that doesn't work, look at the registry entries for Creo Parametric and reverse engineer the file type association.

Hope this helps.

Matt Meadows

Solutions Architect
VIRSO Inc
O: 618 937 8115
C: 314 749 8377
E: mmeadows@virsoinc.com

Richard,

One other thought... Since you closed the plant you may have retired CADAM too. If so, you can do a one-time bulk conversion of CADAM to Wildfire 4.0 (last version that supported conversion of CADAM to Pro/E). Bulk load the Pro/E drawings into Windchill and associate the Creo and CADAM objects to the same WTPart. Going forward changes would be made to the Creo drawing. Thisresolves the file association issue and gives you visualization of the drawings. Just a thought.

Matt Meadows

Matt,

No we didn't retire CADAM however it is is used very little.

The CADAM files were initially put intoIntralink 3.4 andI no longer have access to the native CADAM files outside of Intralink 9.1.

In addition we do not use WTParts

Top Tags