cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

PTC- Creo certification program

balaji
1-Newbie

PTC- Creo certification program

I need certificate form PTC for creo.
I need to know how to apply.
Exam fee.
I need to know exam model questions.
Please answer to my question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Steve,

PTC University offers two Creo certifications, a Fundamentals level certification and a Professional level certification. You can learn about them here:

https://www.ptc.com/en/ptc-university/certifications

Please let me know if you have questions,

Ryan

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:balaji)

PTC does not have a certification program for Creo. Perhaps a local college offers a suitable course.

I don't see how it would work. A useful test would take about 2 weeks of 8 hour days.

It looks like Pearson offers a certificate: http://www.pearsonvue.com/ptc/

"Creo Certifications

PTC University’s Creo Certification Program offers certifications of expertise in the effective usage for Creo Parametric in a mechanical design environment. The Creo certification exam validates a candidate’s ability to model using Creo Parametric. Candidates apply core Creo Parametric Modules to effectively model mechanical designs.

• Creo Parametric for Design Engineers through Pearson VUE authorized test centres in India and SAARC
  • PTC Creo for Designers at academic partner locations of PTC University in India"
MaxGilleland
5-Regular Member
(To:dschenken)

I have many local Silicon Valley engineers and designers ask me this and I hope that someday PTC will do that. There are options that people might like to know about that I have used. De Anza College offers Creo classes with a certificate and the 12 week classes are offered online and live in class. This CAD department has been around for over 25 years and the current Creo teacher is a former PTC trainer who really knows his stuff.

www.deanza.edu/dmt/cad/creo/index.html

www.deanza.edu/dmt/cad/index.html

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Back when it mattered for me, I always wanted PTC to have a certification program, like there is for IT guys with Microsoft, networking etc.  I'd heard that for a while PTC actually DID have a certification process, but I also heard that employers refused to value these users and didn't pay them anything more for having the certification, unlike in the IT world where you ARE paid for the certification.  Where I am now, it doesn't matter, so  don't care anymore.

On a similar note, but far more important, I feel accredited colleges absolutely NEED to have some sort of "CAD" degree.  I mean, you can become a packaging Engineer for example, and get a 4 year degree in the design of cardboard boxes and plastic clamshells.  SRSLY?  So why can't we have a CAD degree which involves proficiency with CAD, vaulting systems, minor programming (relations), a certain level of math proficiency, and a certain level of non-planar geometry proficiency.  For the most part, I do a lot of work that would be considered an Engineer's work, but since I don't have the 4 year degree, I don't get paid at that level and certainly don't get any recognition for it.  We need something better than the 2 year degree you might be able to get at, say, a community college.  Thank God where I work now I can actually advance and am paid well instead of being stuck like in my last "perm" job.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Actually, I'll go further even.  You can get a 4-yr degree as a Packaging Engineer, learning how to design cardboard boxes and clamshells and other dunnage/packing materials.  There are any number of "liberal arts" underwater basketweaving degrees that you can get that are 4 year degrees.  Why can't we have a fully accredited 4-yr degree in CAD?  You'd have to extensively know your 3D geometry, how to construct difficult geometry.  You'd have to learn how to design IM plastic parts because those are the toughest draft, shrink, gating, etc.).  You'd have to have a certain amount of programming skill for relations etc., you'd have to have a certain amount of knowledge about the 3D printing methods, and you'd have to have proficiency in vaulting systems.  For what many of us do, there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to get 4 year degrees in CAD.  For anything IT related you can get any number of certs.  CAD has been around since the early '80's (I learned AutoCAD in '86) so why can't we finally be considered professionals?  Some of the guys here actually refer to me as the "Drafter".  *facepalm*

"CAD has been around since the early '80's"

Try the early '60's!

GM used their internal design system back then.

Lockheed was developing Cadam back then.

I learned 3D CAD on an Applicon 880 system in college in 1977.

By 1992, I was modeling in solids.

https://www.cadazz.com/cad-software-history.htm

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:BenLoosli)

LOL  Well, true thing Ben.  🙂  I guess I meant when it first started to be prevalent.  We also had Applicon and CV for some years out at China Lake before we got AutoCAD but there were so many problems with both that we switched to PC-based CAD systems.  As a contractor for the base when we got our CV systems they were so fragile that when the janitors turned on a vacuum cleaner even on the other side of the building the system crashed, and lost data.  Sometimes there was even physical hard drive stack damage.  We ended up having to get another supply line into the building just for the CV systems AND having to get a $200k UPS/power conditioner for them to finally be stable.....and we on AutoCAD still outperformed them so badly management tossed CV and the whole company (Comarco) switched to AutoCAD as a CAD tool.  We still had manual drafting and the drafters for that, but once I got on CAD I never looked back.

Using CAD in '77?  Man, you predate even ME!  🙂  I thought I was the resident "Olde Guy".  I AM probably (by far...) still the "saltiest" though!  😂

Edit:  EXCELLENT history article, thanks for sharing!  Man, all that brings back memories.  I still wish I was using Pro/E on a SGI workstation...

Used Applicon in college that one year, 1977-1978.

Used Computervision a little bit in 81-87.

Used Unigraphics from 1987 to 2004 and then 2009-2010.

Used Inventor a little during the 2009-2010 job.

Used PTC staring with Pro/E 2000 in 2000, now on Creo 4.

Windchill admin since 2004.

Old enough to be retired but having too much fun to do so! Or is it not enough money?

Birthday is tomorrow, Feb. 19th. 68 years old.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:BenLoosli)

Started AutoCAD in mid-'86, ver 2.18 on a monochrome monitor with maybe 5mb of RAM.  Yikes!  It was still cool though because I was the first chosen to use it full-time since I was their most accurate board drafter.  By the time the company started laying everyone off in '90 almost everyone there using it had either been trained by me or trained by someone I trained.

Went to a community college to take Pro/E classes in '95, when actually both of my teachers (one - Mike Brattoli on the forum here) recommended me to Moen and that was my first Pro/E job on version 15 in Dec of '96.  Man, that was such a new thing for me, I LOVED having a great 3D CAD system, including an SGI Indy workstation and one of those giant, heavy, tube monitors.

Then after I was laid off in '17 I got a job at Sierra Nevada Aerospace from Sept '17 to Aug '18 working on the Dreamchaser where I learned to become pretty expert at NX 8.5.  I really liked the power, but it was quirky, and the interface REALLY sucked.

I originally was put on CV for a short period of time in...'84 I think, but that interface was pretty incomprehensible, and I struggled with it and so after 2 weeks on night shift was put back on the drafting board until AutoCAD was given to me.

Glad to be back on Pro/E now!

Well then, happy pre-birthday Ben!

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager
(To:Patriot_1776)

Hi,   @balaji @Patriot_1776  @BenLoosli  @MaxGilleland  @dschenken  (Everyone)

I was looking for some community content and I came across this thread.  I believe there is a Creo certificate program now from PTC,  and we have also unlocked some of our elearning opportunities during this pandemic.

You might want to try out this "Creating and Modifying 2D Drawing Views"  PTC University Webinar Series  course.  The series goes through May 26th.

April 28 Creating and Modifying 2D Drawing Views  In this session, you learn how to add various types of drawing views, as well as different ways to modify those views.
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Jaime_Lee)

Sooooo @Jaime_Lee , you'll need to add some sort of detail for the PTC Creo Parametric certification. It isn't something that comes up in a google search or a PTC University search.

Hi Steve,

PTC University offers two Creo certifications, a Fundamentals level certification and a Professional level certification. You can learn about them here:

https://www.ptc.com/en/ptc-university/certifications

Please let me know if you have questions,

Ryan

Hmmm, might have to look into this.  Glad to see them finally stepping up.  Now, to have PTC finally get more of a presence in colleges so that the vast majority of Engineering students don't end up learning Solidworks instead....and me and all the others having to re-train them and break their bad habits.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Patriot_1776)

My personal opinion of certification programs are that they give a hiring advantage to one certified inexperienced user over another non-certified inexperienced user.

Some of the specialized training courses help immensely (ie. surfacing) to get a user up to speed on specific functionality.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:StephenW)

'Morning Stephen!  I'd agree to that, but I'd also say that a certified experienced used would also have an advantage over an uncertified experienced user.  I'd say the same advantage IT people get with various MS and Oracle certs etc. would apply here, thought to a lesser extent.  So, if it's a legit certification program, it should have benefits.  I've applied for a different position here where I'd be doing Creo and Windchill Admin duties, so, any certs and training I could get would help.  Like I mentioned, I think elsewhere, why is there no accredited 4-yr CAD degree?  For Christ's sake, you can get a "Packaging Engineer" degree designing cardboard boxes and display clamshells, I've certainly done far more complicated designs than that.  So why not a CAD degree that involves a certain minimum math level, and other training?

Oh my, Applicon. Played around with that in uni, mid 80s. The crashiest crashy CAD program I've ever fought with. It was, I think, on a VAX system?

I remember when the CAD software was run on systems that were kept in a dark air conditioned room and you'd have to constantly lurk about waiting for some time on them. It was almost like waiting to play a popular video game at an arcade in the old days, except you couldn't put a quarter on the keyboard of the CAD station to get dibs on it.

I also remember when most of the CAD design was done with a giant tablet that had all the functions to build geometry laid out on a grid, and you'd use a pen to poke at the thing you wanted to make. Yikes. Remember SDRC Ideas had a two-letter mnemonic system, so you could type in a string of text and it would do stuff. Super fast once you'd memorized the commands and the structure, but also a kind of crashy system.

Whenever I'm telling a new "kid" stories about those days, I always make sure at some point to mime rocking in a rocking chair, with the appropriate sound effects, and an old timer "prospector" voice.

Most of the griping I see about "Creo is so unintuitive" and such seems to be based on not having experience in any other CAD software other than the one and only one they've used before. Those of us who have surfed the wave of CAD development over the years have seen a lot of different interfaces and design philosophies so it's not a biggie to have to get used to another. I like some more than others, really like the power of relations Creo brings me. But really any program I need to use because that's what a company chose, it's just a tool, I have to figure out how to make it do my nefarious bidding...

Top Tags