cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

PTC Resource Center "Piston"

rpayne
1-Newbie

PTC Resource Center "Piston"

I am just starting learning PTC Creo Parametric. So far so good.  The only way to get good at something is practice. I found this guide through the start up resources i.e. the piston. I have hit a wall in this case the piston wall. I can't seem to follow the description in the picture. I have used SolidWorks before and I know I need to draw the rectangle on a different plane. However, I cannot get it on that plane. 

In the picture is where I am stuck at and the file is where I currently stuck at in the drawing portion. 

thanks for any help.  piston.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Robert,

your model is created in educational version and therefore it cannot be opened on commercial version. Please attach the guide to enable to reproduce the exercise.

MH

Martin Hanák

Here is video link I found.  My major problem is coming at 4:41 on the video.   I didn't know you couldn't open student files in professional version.  That is another good learning lesson.  The screen shot below is my current configuration. I think it is something very small I am missing. 

To further explain what problems I am running into. When I draw the sketch on the side, the drawing ends up going inside of the piston. The picture posted below with the red line is where my sketch ends up but I think or I can't get it to draw where I have the blue

line is at. piston3.JPG

http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorial/3897/modeling-a-piston-part-1-of-3

I am going to watch the video and try it again with Stephen advice and your advice.   Thank you both for your help.

piston2.JPG

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rpayne)

In the instructions from the original post, you should be sketching on the FRONT datum plane so I think you may be misunderstanding. Your sketch is supposed to be completely inside the piston.

I followed then video and this is what I ended up with

sketchonfront.jpg

sketchoninsde.jpg

Thank you. I think I got it now. After watching the video made it little easier to what was going on. I was trying to look at it at different angle. Apparently, I was doing it right originally.  I got the rectangle now but it looked distorted somewhat.  I will go back later this afternoon to try to practice this part more. 

Thank you again. I hope I can get it to come out.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rpayne)

If you have a datum pre-selected when you hit the sketch button, it will use that datum as the sketch plane. Make sure you don't have any datums selected when you push the sketch icon OR pre-select the FRONT datum and then hit the sketch button.

If this isn't the problem, you may want to add screenshots of where you are running in to problems.

Top Tags