cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Part volume will not update

lfox
4-Participant

Part volume will not update

Using Creo 2.

When changing a part, the volume seems to be stuck. When I calculate mass properties, the volume stays the same despite any physical changes to the model. I've tried adding features, redoing features, suppressing features etc. Nothing affects the volume.

I started a new part and everything works fine. The volume calculates correctly and updates when the part is changed. So the problem seems to be related to a particular part file. Is this just a glitch? Corrupted file or something? Or did a setting get mixed up somewhere? I can of course start from scratch, but if this problem is solvable, I would like to know how.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lfox
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Well, I got it to update. I changed it to fully assigned and manually input bogus values for everything. Then I ran mass properties calc. Then I changed it back to geometry and density. At this point the values were blank. When I ran the calc again it used current geometry. I wouldn't call this a "fix" to the problem, but I was at least able to do an end-around and force it to forget the "stuck" volume. Your input helped me get to a resolution, and I appreciate it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:lfox)

Check to make sure the volume hasn't been assigned.

In the part, go to File - prepare - model properties, then change across from mass properties.

In that dialog, go to the define properites by drop down and select full assigned and make sure the volume isn't an assigned value.

lfox
4-Participant

Thank you for the suggestion. When I go to the drop down and pick fully assigned, the volume field is blank. Density is the only field with a value. When I switch the drop down back to Geometry and Density, the incorrect volume comes right back. I keep thinking there should be a way to make the part forget all previous calculations and start from scratch with the current geometry, but that doesn't seem to be the case. There is even a reset button in the Mass Properties window, but it has no observable effect.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:lfox)

It should be blank. That was my only thought.

lfox
4-Participant

Well, I got it to update. I changed it to fully assigned and manually input bogus values for everything. Then I ran mass properties calc. Then I changed it back to geometry and density. At this point the values were blank. When I ran the calc again it used current geometry. I wouldn't call this a "fix" to the problem, but I was at least able to do an end-around and force it to forget the "stuck" volume. Your input helped me get to a resolution, and I appreciate it.

Top Tags