cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Pattern question

ptc-5471878
1-Newbie

Pattern question

I created a set of tapped holes that have external references and are located about an extruded hole that also has external references. I have 4 extruded holes that need these tapped holes around them. Right now all I can think to do is measure the distances between the extruded holes and then use a distance pattern to get my tapped holes in the correct place. But if i do it this way then if i move the extruded hole then my set of tapped holes will not be in the right place in the other locations. I'm thinking there is a better way?

The picture attached shows the 4 holes I need to pattern.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-5471878)

This is a thought, but not very elegant. If you draw a Sketch center to center of your extrudes, put a .5 point on the sketch so it stays centered and then a plane on the point, you should be able to mirror the pattern over. And then same thing again in the other direction.

Again, not elegant. But should retain parametrics.

I try to break external references even when I use them to initially locate a feature.

Even with the center hole as an external reference, you can locate the 4 threaded holes based on the axis of the center hole. Create one threaded hole, referenced within the part, select Diameter in the hole dialog, and select an axis and a datum plane (you will need to make a datum plane in the center hole) for an angle reference.

Next, pattern the new threaded hole about the center hole's axis. With the right drawing config set, this will also generate a bolt circle centerline in the drawing.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I think you just described what he shows in the picture and I think what he wants is 4 sets of 4 (1 at each corner of his plate).

But I could be wrong!

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Inoram)

Oh, silly me

I would create the initial extruded holes with a pattern (which I will refer to as pattern1). Next create the pattern of tapped holes around the original (or first) hole in pattern1 (which I will refer to as pattern2). Now pattern pattern2, which should automatically be a reference pattern (which I will refer to as pattern 3). So pattern3 will be a nested pattern containing pattern2. If you change the dimensions in pattern1, the tapped hole pattern should follow it around.

I hope that makes sense...

The model tree till be something like:

Pattern1 of extruded hole

->Extrude Hole1

->Extrude Hole2

->Extrude Hole3

->Extrude Hole4

Pattern3 of Pattern2

->Pattern2 of Threaded Hole1

--->Threaded Hole1 [1]

--->Threaded Hole1 [2]

--->Threaded Hole1 [3]

--->Threaded Hole1 [4]

->Pattern2 of Threaded Hole2

--->Threaded Hole2 [1]

--->Threaded Hole2 [2]

--->Threaded Hole2 [3]

--->Threaded Hole2 [4]

->Pattern2 of Threaded Hole3

--->Threaded Hole3 [1]

--->Threaded Hole3 [2]

--->Threaded Hole3 [3]

--->Threaded Hole3 [4]

->Pattern2 of Threaded Hole4

--->Threaded Hole4 [1]

--->Threaded Hole4 [2]

--->Threaded Hole4 [3]

--->Threaded Hole4 [4]

And I hope that is what you actually want...

You also might try a point pattern by just creating the the first hole of the four hole pattern, create a sketch of points for the required locations with reference to the the four larger holes, and pattern using the point sketch.

We can have a group pattern. Create the extrude hole first and then pattern the tapped hole around the first hole. Group this set and then pattern the group with x and y direction. (Refer to the model enclosed for details)

pattern-1.JPG

thx.

Top Tags