cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Performing a Sweep in a Assembly

CC_9824097
4-Participant

Performing a Sweep in a Assembly

So I've created a sweep in an assembly as shown in the image. This sweep will be the mirrored to create two rails underneath a bicycle seat, however after creating the sweep, it isnt creating a solid shape, its just showing me where it would be, ive used points and a 3D curve to create the sweep geometry. 

Is there any way i can copy out all the points and the curve created from the points to create the sweep in a new file as a new part, that way i can add this new part into the assembly?  6.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why not just create the part in an assembly?

The top-down approach I use to create parts that I want to be interdependent is to use an assembly as a "factory" of a sort. Generally I build simple sketches to define the different aspects of the design, but I've also assembled parts into the "master" assembly to use for further sketches, etc.

You can then create a part in the assembly, use the geometry in the assembly to define it, and then you'll have a part that serves your purpose. I use the parts I created in the master to build the actual assemblies I need for the design. The master is just a tool to let me create parts.

Any "features" you create in an assembly are either surfaces or material removal features. Doing "cuts" (removing material from part or parts in the assembly) is generally frowned upon. It can lead to problems down the line. I only do so if I absolutely have to, but I still hate doing it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Why not just create the part in an assembly?

The top-down approach I use to create parts that I want to be interdependent is to use an assembly as a "factory" of a sort. Generally I build simple sketches to define the different aspects of the design, but I've also assembled parts into the "master" assembly to use for further sketches, etc.

You can then create a part in the assembly, use the geometry in the assembly to define it, and then you'll have a part that serves your purpose. I use the parts I created in the master to build the actual assemblies I need for the design. The master is just a tool to let me create parts.

Any "features" you create in an assembly are either surfaces or material removal features. Doing "cuts" (removing material from part or parts in the assembly) is generally frowned upon. It can lead to problems down the line. I only do so if I absolutely have to, but I still hate doing it.

CC_9824097
4-Participant
(To:KenFarley)

I see, you'll have to bear with me as ive only been using creo for a couple of days.

When you say create the part in a new assembly, would i then have to create new points and a new curve ect, i cant just copy and paste the 3D curve ive created because i wont have the reference points needed for it?

CC_9824097
4-Participant
(To:CC_9824097)

So all i want to do is use this sweep ive created in the assembly, save it as a part so that i can then assemble it and add constraints so it fits between the two components.   

You've got two options:

(1) Copy that assembly to another file with a different name. Create the part (Under the Component tab of the ribbon, click Create). You name the part, then right click on it and "Activate" it. Build the geometry in the part using your assembly curves and other geometry. Once you're done, click on the assembly in the model tree and Activate it. Now you have a part with the geometry you want. Use this in the actual "assembly".

(2) Do all the part creation steps from Option(1) without copying to another assembly. Your part will already be positioned in the assembly where you want it.

The advantage I see is that your assembly to be used for drawings and any other stuff you do won't have all the sketches and other geometry in them, just the parts, but if that doesn't bother you it's probably not going to matter.

Top Tags