cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Precious gems and valuable metals

DanMarotta
2-Guest

Precious gems and valuable metals

Hello,

The challenge is to render your designs in such a way that makes all the precious gems and valuable metals look believable, sparkling, and shiny.

So here it is, $25 Amazon gift card to each member that submits their very own rendering of a precious gem or valuable metal. Think of diamonds, ruby's, silver coins, gold rings etc

Some guidelines:

• Each member can submit a max of 3 gems or metals or combination of both. *Potential to earn $75 in Amazon gift cards. Feel free to upload as many as you want however.
  • Submissions must be unique and original.
  • Submissions must originate from a Creo Elements/Pro file. Files can be attached as a reply to this thread.
  • Use the Tag "gems_metals" (without quotes) when creating your photo album.

Submit your gems and metals >>

Good luck!

-Dan

*As inventory allows

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
23 REPLIES 23

Hi All,

I created my first design for Engineers ring (golden ring - shaped computer mouse).

rr05.jpg

See more pictures in the album Gems and precious metals

This album I have prepared for all our other new ideas in the challenge "Precious gems and valuable metals"

Good luck!

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

I wanted to share Camilo's album too

Polydiamond Ring

-Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the topic. Just for fun. Got me thinking about combining an old hobby interest in the exquisitely elegant geometry of crystallography with the highly capable modeling engine we all share. The gems you have asked for have cool cut facet geometry; natural crystals gives us facets determined by internal geometry and a so-called unit cell. Here's a quick-and-dirty approximation of one of the many naturally occuring forms of quartz.

quartz-1.jpg

David

P.S. NOT meant to meet your challenge of "believable, sparkling, and shiny."

David, you should give it a twinkle. You're already half way there

OK, "a little twinkle":

quartz-2.jpg

Nice work David - it is look realistic

Do not forget add to prepared fotoalbum: Gems and precious metals

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hi all, ok here is my first modeled and rendered concept in Pro/E Wildfire 5.0. There is not any retouching with third party programs.

model_Mascenikm.jpg

Prsten_Koncept_1.jpg

Michal M.

Nice work, Michael!

Thanks, your gem is cool too.

Michal

Michal,

Great design! How many carats would you say that is? It looks like it would cost a fortune!

Your ablum is also quite impressive. If you had a label on the wine bottle, I would not have known it was not reality

http://communities.ptc.com/photoAlbums/1034

-Dan

Thanks am working with ARX about seven years, so i have pretty long list of rendered projects (professional and personal ones).

Dan: About carats> Regarding to this document http://www.ajediam.com/Oval_diamond_sizes.html and to the size of my gem it would be about 5 to 10 carats, total cost would be from 2000 to 100 000 dollars.

Michal

Michal,

We're rich!

Can you send me a Private Message (PM) with your preferred mailing address? I want to get you the Amazon gift card for sharing your rendered gem. As an additional thanks, I'll also include a PlanetPTC Community t-shirt. Shirt size?

If you want to share some of your past projects (professional and personal), I'm sure it will serve as inspiration for the larger community of designers and engineers.

Don't forget, you can upload another 2 unique and original renderings of gems and metals for an additional 2 gift cards.

-Dan

Here is my two cents. or $50,000, whichever way you want to look at it.

Christian,

I was hoping someone would model a gold bar. Your gold bar is worthy of Fort Knox.

Would you mind dropping your image into a photo album so I can better track it? I want to make sure you're credited with an Amazon gift card, so can you send me a private message with your preferred mailing address and I'll drop it in the mail for you?

Thanks!

-Dan

And what about Pyrit ?!

Pyrit is very impressive in its natural form. I have big one from Peru (~2,3cm crystals, its weight is about 0.5kg).

I think, the modeling of rock will be my next modeling challenge Believe me, this piece was hard even for me.

So, Let's rock !

UPRAVA_Mascenikm_PYRIT3.jpg

Michal

I just like tricky modeling, here is the Diamond which cannot be miss in topic like this.

frame.jpg

diamanty4-1.jpg

Michal

Nice work Michal - it is look good

Do not forget add to prepared fotoalbum: Gems and precious metals

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

thanks, i allready have photoalbum for this topic. http://communities.ptc.com/photoAlbums/1035

Michal

My wife just had a baby so I've been pretty much in a different world for the past week. I forgot to submit this, not the greatest rendering but it'll do.

Christian,

Good job getting this in. I was just about to close this out.

Congrats on the newest addition to your family!

-Dan

Hi All,

Thank you all for sharing your modeled and rendered creations with the community.

We reached our limit on gift cards. Although this challenge is now closed, please feel free continue to upload your gems and metals to inspire others.

Thanks you again,

-Dan

Thanks, great fun and idea

And here is my first model and render with Creo Elements / Direct

handle.jpg

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
Top Tags