cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

ProMold Design

DarylWolf
4-Participant

ProMold Design

Hello, we use a casting for our boxes with the backs hollowed out. I have a model of this. I want to use it and not use the 'automatic workpiece' and then putting in a parting line surface. Which is how I have been doing it. Then I always have to remodel the backside of every half of box everytime. There should be an easier way to use an existing model for the stock. Any idea how to use the model of the material instead? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Daryl Wolf
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Daryl, You can use almost any existing model for your WORKPIECE by assembling it as such into your MOLD/MFG session by conventional assembly techniques (mates, aligns, etc.) ASSEMBLE/WORKPIECE -> browse to model... It should be the first or second model assembled interchangeable with REF MODEL which need not be placed automatically either. The trick is basically to tell it (the software) what your assembling before you do it. (WORKPIECE, REF MODEL, MOLD COMPONENT, etc.)
DarylWolf
4-Participant
(To:WillyC)

Thanks for the help Willy. I've done the assembly of the workpiece model. But then how do you tell it that its the workpiece before or after you add it. In the Feature directory, the Workpiece is shaded out. But I think I am on the right track. Thanks again, Daryl I have some relatives in Largo. I've been there when I was a kid. Nice area from what I remember.
DarylWolf
4-Participant
(To:DarylWolf)

Willy, I got it to work. I used the reclassify to tell it the stock model was the workpiece. And everything worked like magic. I'm so happy. Thanks for the help Daryl

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention RECLASSIFY. Pretty handy tool for molds. I've been using Pro/Mold since about '94 before they had automatic anything so I actually used to have all manner of saved workpieces to split. I like the auto-workpiece feature but sometimes feel like I've lost a little control when I have to modify things like part postition and such. Glad you solved your problem. This part of Florida is not bad. Gulf Coast/ Tampa Bay, not Largo per se. Beats Chicago for weather. Moved here over 30 years ago from there. Ouch! That hurt to say out loud. LOL.
Top Tags