cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

ProPiping to follow a helix

krichardson
1-Newbie

ProPiping to follow a helix

I have a request to create a helix tube in ProPiping. PTC says that it can't be done using ProPiping, I can only sweep a profile along a curve.

Any suggestions? I remember a tutorial where the tube was routed through points in a helix shape, but I havn't been able to get my pipeline to do that.

TIA, Kathy

PRo/E 5.0

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

While I don’t currently have access to ProPiping, try this. (This is all if I remember correctly, so I could be way, way off on the differences between a regular sweep and ProPiping.)

1. Create a surface helical sweep where the outside edge is going to be the centerline of your pipe.

2. Select just the outside edge (as an intent edge) of the surface helical sweep

3. Copy -> Paste the edge to get a curve

You’ll end up with a curve in the shape of a helical sweep. You should be able to pick that for your piping trajectory.

I uploaded a quick sample file.

In Reply to Kathy Richardson:

I have a request to create a helix tube in ProPiping. PTC says that it can't be done using ProPiping, I can only sweep a profile along a curve.

Any suggestions? I remember a tutorial where the tube was routed through points in a helix shape, but I havn't been able to get my pipeline to do that.

TIA, Kathy

PRo/E 5.0

Top Tags