cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Problem Loading STEP File

Cory
1-Newbie

Problem Loading STEP File

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Is there a public bug tracker for Creo Elements/Direct?

I've generated a solid elliptical cylinder with PTC's GRANITE that Creo Elements/Direct cannot import. I've contacted PTC GRANITE support and they have asked me to report this problem to Creo Elements/Direct. Am I in the right place?

When you import the attached STEP file, Creo reports a corrupt part and the display shows only error mesages (like "edge doesn't lie on face but it should"). Other software (like Autodesk Inventor) can import the file without errors.

Thanks,

Cory

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
GaryLinscheid
15-Moonstone
(To:Cory)

What version of Creo Elements/Direct are you using?

Oh yeah, forgot to include that. I'm using the 64-bit version 4.0, datecode M010 of Creo Elements / Direct Modeling Express.

Cory

GaryLinscheid
15-Moonstone

I don't have the express version, but I did load it into version 18.1.

Check under options in the express version to see if you have the Granite option.

step load.jpg

Does it also load for you if you select Direct?

The GRANITE people are telling me that the STEP file is valid and they have verified that the express version reports the part is corrupt. Am I even in the right place for reporting this?

GaryLinscheid
15-Moonstone

It loads as corrupt if I use the Direct option.

PTC.com has a call logging for issues.

rswartz
1-Newbie

I think you need to look at your orginal source for this model. Something is wrong there.

Here is what your STEP file looks like when you load it in SolidWorks.

solid_works.jpg

Creo Parametric is able to load this STEP file without errors.

I am impressed that it can load this file. However, if you export it to STEP again, you

still have the same problem.

If you use the Granite Option to load the STEP file in Creo Elements/Direct, it tries to

heal the part, and it does retrim the planar faces, but the real problem is with the edges.

They do not move from their original location. This is why you get the error

"Edge does not lie on a face, but it should"

If you load the part into Creo Parametric, and save it as STEP, but change the export options

from Solids/Shells to Surfaces, the part will load correctly into Creo/Elements Direct

when you use the "granite" option.

Message was edited by: Richard M. Swartz

Top Tags