cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Problem saving .prt with assembly

LauranneSins
1-Newbie

Problem saving .prt with assembly

Hi !

I'm asking your help because I've a problem when saving my assembly. It's created of 4 parts, allready created, and which are in 4 different folders. When i save my assembly, I'd like to save it ine a 5th folder and keep all the parts in their original folder. However, all the parts are copied into the 5th folder (those of the assembly saving).

Is it possible to do what I want ?? If yes, how ?!

Thanks a lot for your very appreciate help !

L.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

search the help files for search_path and search_path_file

Reinhard

Indeed, Creo uses search paths to find the specified parts. The search locations are maintained in a search path file and the search path file is specified in config.pro.

Be careful in how you use this. By default, Creo will search the working directory 1st and then the paths if the file is not found. Also, if you have multiple instances of the part in different folders, it will pick up the one it 1st encounters. Careful management of these folders is imperative.

There are two 'save as' commands in Creo, 'save as > copy' and 'save as > backup'.

If you use the 'save as > back up' command, it puts the top level object and all related sub objects into the target folder and make the new object active.

If you use the 'save as > copy' command it simply creates a new copy of the top level object with a new name and does not save any of the sub objects. It also leaves the original as the active object instead of the new copy.

On the topic of search paths, Creo will search for child objects (parts for an assembly, drawing models, etc) in this order:

1. The folder the parent object resides in.
  2. The current working directory.
  3. search_path statements, in the order listed.

There are some PDMLink places searched as well, I'm not sure where they fall in that list.

So, if you open an assembly outside of your working directory, Creo will look for the parts there first, then your working directory and then your search paths. If it can't find them in those places, it'll give up and prompt you to find them.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I did not know about that #1. search functionality. The could explain some things

Top Tags