cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Problem with "Make Default" command of combined states

bmancini
13-Aquamarine

Problem with "Make Default" command of combined states

Hello everyone,
i have a problem with combined states.
I have defined a new combined state named "NEW" and I would like this combined state to be read instead of the default "Default All".
N.B. my goal is to have a new combined state set by default while preserving the original default combined state.

This is the starting condition:

bmancini_0-1669456835486.png

If I right-click on the new combined state "NEW" the program allows me to set it as "Make Default", it would seem a perfect command for my case, and instead even setting it and saving the model, when the model is reopened the combined state is returned the original one by default... why?

This is the result by activating the combined state "NEW" and setting it as "Make Default":

bmancini_1-1669456988561.png

This is the result when I reopen the model:

bmancini_2-1669457092737.png

Is it normal for something like this to happen?
How can I fix it?

Thank you.
P.S. I use Creo 9.0.2.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LOL, you'd think it would work that way.  I kind of expect combined states to behave weirdly as they are related to annotations and PTC has really made a mess in that area.  Though I'm still using Creo 4.0 and assume that they fixed /enhanced some of these functions in newest versions.  For instance, switching to "Default All" state, my system still displays the layer state assigned to the previously active combined state.  Anyway, I do suspect that you are trying to use these combined states in a way that PTC has not intended.  I am not quite sure how it was intended, but these combined states do not seem they are transferrable/shareable/accessible outside of the current model.

Anyway, it looks like the "Make Default" function only affects publishing to Creo View format?

See Creo Combination States and Model-Based Definition (MBD)  

pausob_0-1669486261622.png

or this idea: Make default for combined states should work for view manager in Creo Parametric

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

LOL, you'd think it would work that way.  I kind of expect combined states to behave weirdly as they are related to annotations and PTC has really made a mess in that area.  Though I'm still using Creo 4.0 and assume that they fixed /enhanced some of these functions in newest versions.  For instance, switching to "Default All" state, my system still displays the layer state assigned to the previously active combined state.  Anyway, I do suspect that you are trying to use these combined states in a way that PTC has not intended.  I am not quite sure how it was intended, but these combined states do not seem they are transferrable/shareable/accessible outside of the current model.

Anyway, it looks like the "Make Default" function only affects publishing to Creo View format?

See Creo Combination States and Model-Based Definition (MBD)  

pausob_0-1669486261622.png

or this idea: Make default for combined states should work for view manager in Creo Parametric

@bmancini, out of curiosity, why are you trying to have the default state be something other than "Default All".  In other words, why not just work in Default All state?

Keep in mind that Default All state uses the user-defined default appearance and (for assemblies) user-defined default simplified rep (and not Master)

pausob_0-1669488486783.png

bmancini
13-Aquamarine
(To:pausob)

Hi pausob,
thanks for the replies,
in one of my procedures, I need to save the look of the model, change it temporarily, and then recall the original look at a later time.
Not being able to use the combined states, I defined two macros that work directly on the "Aspects" and I got my goal.

In short: The procedure I have in mind is to display the non-validation status of the model using its visual appearance.

jbailey
17-Peridot

The use case to NOT have default all the "default" in my case would be doing MBD, we might the Title, security statements, important information be the default view before you actually see any CAD

Not sure about your ask - are you saying you want a way to "hide" the CAD model in the "default all" state?

What would you want to happen when this CAD model is brought into an assembly as a component?

jbailey
17-Peridot

No, I want the default combined state that pops up to be information about the component (so setting the "default" tab, not modifying default all

Well, you can add this information annotation to the "Default All" state, and that is what will show up when you load up the part:

pausob_0-1689601565930.png

New combined states that you make will not have it displayed (unless you assign this element to them):

pausob_2-1689601967255.png

jbailey
17-Peridot

Still doesn't solve my use case. If an item say has a security marking (say ITAR/EAR) I want to not see the geometry on the screen by default...

Yes, I see - so you do want to hide the geometry "by default", and yes, I agree there is no good way of doing it right now.

I thought I had a clever "pro-workaround" - that is to zoom out that the model is really really really tiny.  Then save this as "Default Orientation".

However, when you open such model, Creo still sort of "zooms to fit" (ignoring the saved default orientation).

The only other work-around idea is to save the model with all the layers hidden (+ Solidgeom on a hidden layer), but that make is it unfeasible when assembling such models.

jbailey
17-Peridot

Yeah I tried the zoom trick many moons ago. I might take this to PTC on the security angle, since that is where I am coming from. 

Top Tags