cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Pulling the model name in as a parameter

bstedem
1-Newbie

Pulling the model name in as a parameter

Hi,

Here's the problem I'm having in CREO Elements/Pro 5:

I have a BOM table that contains a few parts that exist as 2 or 3 models but are the same part number (ie. 12345-1, 12345-2, ect.) but I would like to edit them to not show the dash number on the BOM since those dash numbers don't exist in the system. Is there a way to pull the model name into each model's parameter window so that it still will automatically show in the BOM table but if I want to edit a handful of part numbers to delete the extra numbers I would be able to without having to enter all the part numbers in the BOM table manually?

Or is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks,

Ben

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ben,

You can create custom relation - for example

cusom_model_name=extract(rel_model_name,1,5)

Note: extract(string, position, length) >> Extracts pieces of strings.

In your repeat region you can use this parameter (cusom_model_name) really easy

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi Ben,

You can create custom relation - for example

cusom_model_name=extract(rel_model_name,1,5)

Note: extract(string, position, length) >> Extracts pieces of strings.

In your repeat region you can use this parameter (cusom_model_name) really easy

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

I think you might be on the right track, I'll give that some thought and see where it gets me.

huggre
1-Newbie
(To:bstedem)

Ben

If i understand you correctly you have an assembly that is identified with a part number in your ERP system but the individual parts within the assmbly does not. (but you still want to display the parts within your drawing partslist for the assembly)

In general i think it is a bad idea to display the assembly part number in for each row in your partslist as this may lead to confusion as to what part you are talking about.

(Someone might think that if they order a part from your partslist they will get the part that is ballooned out while in fact they will get the whole assembly)

Our solution to this problem is to set the part number for each sub component to <blank> and only display the part number for the assembly it self using the following method:

Create two parameters in your start part/assembly

showpartno (boolean)

partno (string)

Add the following relation to your start part/assembly:

IF show_partno == NO

partno = ""

ELSE

partno = rel_model_name

ENDIF

Now, using the show_partno parameter you may choose to display or not to display the part number based on if a part number exist in your ERP system or not.

Hope that helps

Hugo

bstedem
1-Newbie
(To:huggre)

Thats part of the problem, however what I'm referring to is I have one part number for a hydraulic hose that is used twice in an assembly but it runs differently in both places so it has two models of the same part number one with 12345_2 and the other 12345_3. I'd like to just have the 12345 part number show.

huggre
1-Newbie

OK, if that is the case then Vladimir's suggestion should work.

Also, if all the parameter values you display in your partslist are identical for the two hoses then they should automatically be "merged" into one row and one balloon.

VladimirPalffy
13-Aquamarine
(To:huggre)

good note Hugo

... but I think that it will be a little problem with balloons - because system can not recognize correct position / correct model. But you can always create custom note for this parts.

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

If you carefully created your hose to take advantage of Flexible Features, you could achieve the same effect with one hose literally assembled in two different locations. This is a larger discussion and, as usualy lately, I can't delve into it further right now. With some thoughtful design of your hose model, you may be able to make this work. This has the added benefit of not requiring any special relations to get the BOM to work correctly.

Also to piggyback onto Vladimir's suggestion... you can use the "search" function to the location of a "-" in your model name. Once you have the position, you can then split the base number from the dash using the extract function.

Good luck...

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I agree with Brian. You don't need to ues the actual "filename" (i.e.: 1234-001.prt), you can create the model with a parameter to fill in the BOM, and give it pre-defined flexibility, and simply modify the parameter at assembly. We do this all the time for that kind of thing.

In other words, you have, say, a hose you buy in a roll, under 1 part number. You used that a couple times at assembly, cut to length in each place. Pro/E forces you to have a unique filename for each model/routing, so you can't actually use the filename in the BOM. So, you create a parameter (i.e.: PART_NUMBER) to use in your BOM. All our start models do this. I find this works much better than actually trying to use the filename, because it give you far more, dare I say it, "flexibilty".......

Then you get my situation that I had solved last year where we get kits of parts and only 1/2 is used per assembly so I had to have a half of a part in the BOM. Similar to PN - our part number parameter, I needed more "flexibility" for the half of a part also.

Yup. I think I remember that thread.

I created a new BOM table and start parts about 4 years ago at another company when we went to WF4 (fixed some major flexible issues) to take advantage of flexibility. I used it also for quantities of things like oils and greases, etc. I had to write relations in the table to show the report qty unless it was something other than a value. This was where we couldn't simply use "A/R", and needed, say, 4.5 qts of oil from a 55-gal drum that was a single P/N. Worked great!

I think I posted my BOM table and start parts some time ago relating to this kind of stuff......

Top Tags