cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Pulling the top level assebmyl name as parameter in subassembly drawing

himungan
6-Contributor

Pulling the top level assebmyl name as parameter in subassembly drawing

Hello,

I would like to pull the name of top level assembly name in child model or subassembly drawing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

requested functionality is not implemented.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

requested functionality is not implemented.

Martin Hanák
himungan
6-Contributor
(To:MartinHanak)

😞

Lower level parts in an assembly have no "knowledge" of what assembly they are a part of. This makes sense, since  a given part (or assembly) could be currently used in many assemblies. No informative link between a lower level component and the assembly it's used in is made.

If I want a given part or assembly to know the "top level assembly", I use relations in that assembly to set a parameter in the component so it "knows" the part number or whatever identifier I'm using. If there's a more complex hierarchical structure involved, I have to pass the parameter down through each level of assembly to reach the lower components.

himungan
6-Contributor
(To:KenFarley)

You are right. As you state, creating parameter is only way for that. Thank you

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:himungan)

If you use Windchill, it may be possible as there is a where used report capability in Windchill.

Would take some programming to get the information into Creo.

Manually crated parameter may be the way to go but this has serious drawbacks when you add that component to another assembly and have to keep adding new parameters for each assembly it is used in.

That's for sure. The simple "set the component parameter" method falls apart when a part/assembly is being used by multiple upper level assemblies. Works well for us because most of our assemblies have components that are specific to one design.

It does prove to be very convenient for us because  a typical new design can be derived from previous ones with the same overall structure, so changing the part numbers of the assemblies is, after a regeneration, updated in the components, without having to visit all those models to change it manually.

Top Tags