cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

QR Code sketch

Maniram
4-Participant

QR Code sketch

Hi,

Can any one suggest to create the QR code in sketch?

Bar code is created in sketch - Text - Select ID automation font. Does it like that any option for QR code generation.

10 REPLIES 10
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:Maniram)

I think bar code works because it is essentially a font. It's essentially a character substitution. QR code is a 2D matrix that is calculated to represent the data of interest. I think you're going to find that you'll need to generate the QR code you want in another program, and use the image generated in your drawing or model. I don't know how you'd apply a QR code to a part, maybe as a decal?

Maniram
4-Participant
(To:KenFarley)

Hi,

I read the same in community.

But I would like to make same like bar code for QR code.

Do you know how should take this into PTC support?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

Besides just opening it as a case, you should provide a business case as to why you need it, what benefit it will provide your company and an economic impact if PTC does or does not add this functionality.

You should also provide what type of data you want to have encoded and where the data will be coming from. Open text fields on a drawing would be the worse case scenario. Windchill driven data that multiple customers might find useful would be of more benefit to PTC than custom attributes.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I highly doubt PTC would add something like this to Creo.  We can't even get them to add a "real to string" function and the algorithm for a QR code is much more complex.

You're probably better off working with a 3rd party like Fishbowl Solutions.  We paid them for an add-on that allows our CAD workers to automatically add barcodes to our drawings when publishing to PDF.  It supports both 2D and 3D barcodes, including QR codes, and works very well.

sayyadurai
10-Marble
(To:TomU)

Hi TomU,

Would you share what information you store in the barcode/QR code and who is the end customer for this? By the way, do we need seperate translator to read and decode the information? can Windchill store QR code for each CAD data? How secure is this process? 

Sorry for the too many questions.. hope you dont mind 🙂

BR
Siva

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:sayyadurai)

Think of bar codes and QR codes as just another "language".  Anyone, or anything that knows how to read that language can read the information contained in them.  Each code supports a certain number of characters, and some codes do a better job of compressing this information into a smaller area.  (ex. Data Matrix.)  What information you choose to encode is entirely up to you.  Could you choose to encode something that was already encrypted?  Sure, but then once the data is read you will need to decrypt it again.

In our case we are just encoding the Creo file name and Windchill revision.  I've done some tests where I also included additional Creo parameter values like description and material type, but at this point I don't see much value in having that information stored there (at least not in our environment.)

The way we are creating our barcodes is invisible to Windchill.  There is a process that runs on the PDF after publishing and adds the barcode, similar to a watermark.  The barcode only exists in the PDF (which is stored in Windchill).  There are no attributes in Windchill that actually contain the barcode itself.

Lots of good barcode information here:

Hi @Maniram ,

it could be possible to create a Pro/Toolkit application that does the job. 

Are you willing to spend money on this?

Greetings Sam

Samuel Brantner
B&W Software GmbH
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I did it the easy way:  I fudged something that looked good enough with a bunch of thick and thin lines.  Why waste time trying to make something perfect when it doesn't NEED to be?  Is this going to actually get scanned?  No?  Then it's a total waste of time for both you and PTC to deal with it.  That's what label makers/machines are for.

Why don't you generate a QR code online, then use that image as a decal in a new appearance?

You can then assign that to a face of your part where you want your QR code to be.

Top Tags