cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Question: How do I import 3D AutoCAD files?

vgillespie
1-Newbie

Question: How do I import 3D AutoCAD files?

I am using Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express 6.0. I need to open 3D files I created in AutoCAD 2013. I tried importing DWG files and DXF files into Creo but without success.

When I try to open AutoCAD DWG files I first get the following message in Creo Elements: "The data must be migrated to the PTC Creo Elements/Direct annotation structure. Confirm to continue." Then I click "Continue." Then what happens is an extremely distorted version of my 3D AutoCAD drawing opens, with only a few lines and most of the drawing missing.

When I try to open an AutoCAD DXF file I sometimes get the following message: "The file Connector Piece 9zzv - 2013 - dxf.log cannot be loaded by any of the following methods: Packages, Universal MI." and then I cannot go further.

Sometimes when I try to open an AutoCAD DXF file I get a different message: "The data must be migrated to the PTC Creo Elements/Direct Annotation structure. Confirm to continue." (I think I might have been opening two different types of DXF files. The icons for the two files look different.) (This is the same message I got when trying to open the DWG files.) Then what happens is (after I click "Continue") I get a red horizontal line a quarter inch from the top of the viewing pane and there is also a purple square about 4 inches by 4 inches in size which only appears when the cursor goes over it. No recognizable part of my AutoCAD drawing appears.

In each case when the Open File dialogue box opens I set the File Type option to "All (*.*)"

How can I open my 3D AutoCAD files in Creo Elements / Direct Modeling Express?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Vincent,

I use "Inventor Fusion 2013 R1" to translate 3D DWG and DXF files in STEP or IGES.
This 3D data can then be opened in Express 6.0.
The result is not always Faultless but a way of not to have to model everything again.

Best regards and much success

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello Vincent,

I use "Inventor Fusion 2013 R1" to translate 3D DWG and DXF files in STEP or IGES.
This 3D data can then be opened in Express 6.0.
The result is not always Faultless but a way of not to have to model everything again.

Best regards and much success

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )

Hi FriedhelmK,

This seems to work. I am using IGES and STEP files as you suggested, saving them first in Inventor Fusion. I am able to transfer the various parts in my drawing one by one. Most seem to be transferring ok as far as I can tell. One seems like it might be a bit messed up but overall it seems like this will work. Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Vincent

Top Tags