cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Random delays

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Random delays

At some point in the recent past, Creo started having pauses or delays during normal working. Seems random. I'm in a drawing today and it lets me do a few things and then pauses for a few seconds. Then goes right back to where it was. I typically click 2 or 3 times thinking I didn't select right and realize its not waiting on me. 

I'm on Creo 4, just updated to M130 hoping it would change something. Nope.

Cleaned out my workspaces and deleted my .wf...didn't help.

Cleaned out my working directory...didn't help

Was working in a large workspace, so I moved my current drawing an it's files to a standalone workspace, 29 objects...didn't help.

Disabled the 2 config.pro files and restarted...didn't help.

I am working from home, it's the only other thing I can't test. I *think* it was happening in the office when I was there. We have a local install, local working directory. Some network connections in the config but I think I ruled those out when I disabled the config.pro's.

Any thoughts on other things I could try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Never really solved it. I *think* it basically went away on its own.

We did later have an unrelated issue with a newly deployed IT security / virus protection software call Sentinel. The most noticeable problem with it was when using file - open or any other dialog that opened a window similar would take over a minute for the window to pop up, didn't matter whether I was at the office or working from home.

If I was you, I would first verify if you've had any system upgrades or changes to IT software that might have coincided with the problem.  Then I would try the other suggestions from the other users responses and open a support case with PTC if you can reproduce or quantify the problem

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Is the data you're working on graphically heavy? Complex geometry seems to be a leading cause of small delays and lockups. Maybe try simplifying the data or suppressing a few things and retry?

Ty

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Tdaugherty)

Nope, current work is on a relatively simple weld assembly with the parts being very low feature count. No assembly cuts. No external references. Its not only this assembly. It's all creo work. I even noticed it on a piece part model when I edited an existing feature.

Nothing complex what-so-ever. No additional models open or, in my latest test, even in the workspace.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

How often do you reboot your workstation?

When was it last rebooted?

How old is your workspace?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

Hey, that's my "answer" when someone complains about glitches!!

I shut down every day at the end of the day. Start fresh every morning.

I did a complete workspace clean out last week when trying to "fix" this issue. 

On monday, I deleted the workspace I was working in and started fresh along with the .wf delete to make sure I was clean.

A couple more questions then...

• Is Creo actually locking up and not responding? Or are your selections (mouse picks) not working right?
  • Are you working from home with a VPN connection or some other remote setup?
  • Is your preferred files server set properly for working remotely?
  • Have you tested for issues when working with new CAD data? 
  • Have you tried disconnecting from the server and experimenting with the data you're working on?
StephenW
23-Emerald II

It's freezing, not letting anything happen in Creo for 3 or 4 seconds. It doesn't show "not responing" 

Not a VPN, we log in to the network using "zscaler" private access. I obviously don't know any details but it works really well. Best and easiest remote connection I have ever used.

Since I am logged in to the network, I'm not sure there are any changes needed, hmmm.

I will save my work to a local drive and turn on PDMLink and see if that will tell me if it's a PDMLink issue or a creo issue. 

I may also try working offline and see if it still has the pause.

Thanks

Understood. 

I asked about the freezing/selection thing because I've noticed issues with RDP gateway when working from home. It's the same thing that happens when you have a windows custom scaling factor set to something other than 100%. Selection gets weird and clicking on things doesn't register properly.

The preferred file server thing might be worth it to look into. It's a setting in Windchill that controls which server you are accessing. If your company is like ours and has multiple replica servers, you will want to make sure you are connected to the right one (probably master).

(My Settings>Preferences>Vaulting and Replication>Preferred Files Server)

Ty

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ah, yes, the scaling issue. That  was frustrating when you couldn't select what you thought you were over. Not this current problem.

We do have replication servers but I had already changed to "master" at some point back due to other random problems and didn't bother to change back when the problems were solved.

@StephenW wrote:

It's freezing, not letting anything happen in Creo for 3 or 4 seconds. It doesn't show "not responing" 

Not a VPN, we log in to the network using "zscaler" private access. I obviously don't know any details but it works really well. Best and easiest remote connection I have ever used.

Since I am logged in to the network, I'm not sure there are any changes needed, hmmm.

I will save my work to a local drive and turn on PDMLink and see if that will tell me if it's a PDMLink issue or a creo issue. 

I may also try working offline and see if it still has the pause.

Thanks

Hi,

following info is just my guess...

If the freeze interval is always the same, then it looks like a timeout - maybe in communication with the license server. You can borrow license to prevent repeated talking between Creo application and FLEXnet processes on server.

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MartinHanak)

It just may be a regular interval. I'll see if I can borrow a license to test the idea. 

Thanks

Hi Steve

Can you tell me if you were able to resolve this issue? We are facing similiar issues.

Regards

David

Never really solved it. I *think* it basically went away on its own.

We did later have an unrelated issue with a newly deployed IT security / virus protection software call Sentinel. The most noticeable problem with it was when using file - open or any other dialog that opened a window similar would take over a minute for the window to pop up, didn't matter whether I was at the office or working from home.

If I was you, I would first verify if you've had any system upgrades or changes to IT software that might have coincided with the problem.  Then I would try the other suggestions from the other users responses and open a support case with PTC if you can reproduce or quantify the problem

Top Tags