cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Real time ambient occlusion effect misbehaving?

AnderasFromm
4-Participant

Real time ambient occlusion effect misbehaving?

I was really excited, when i first saw the realtime ambient occlusion effect in Creo. It's a nice looking effect and can really help to see details in front view.

But when i activated it for the first time, i was very disappointed. The behavior is really strange. Sometimes the effect disappears completely, sometimes only at some places and even more annoying: the size of the effect changes with the zoom level in the viewport. When you are far away the image looks completely smeared and when you are close, the effect gets so small, that it is hard to even notice (see attached pdf).

In my opinion this cannot be the desired appearance of the effect, AO should be only depended of the size of the geometry, but not of the size the geometry is displayed in the viewport.

Can anyone confirm this behavior? What do you think is the correct behavior? Or is it a GPU/OPENGL/Driver related problem?

My system:

Windows 7 prof. 64bit

HP z420 E5-1620

Nvidia K4000 (368.86)

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Interesting. I'm wondering if it has to do with relative location to the lighting sources. i.e. when you are zoomed way out, the light source is much farther away and the lighting is more diffuse. Maybe? Not sure what I expect the behavior to be. Have you asked tech support and did they have an answer?

I can't see any dependcy of lighting. I have attached the example. Since we are just before Creo go live, i had more urgent topics for the support than that, but it is still in my queue.

But it would be interesting to know if this is only a issue for us, or also for the rest of the Creo users.

Hi,

what is PTC Support saying ? Did you open Support Case ?

MH

Martin Hanák

Finally, i got a support case: CS251154.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS251154

Product Management is looking to improve ambient occlusion effect in a future release of Creo Parametric
Top Tags