cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Rectangular helix

JeffHoracek
1-Newbie

Rectangular helix

Guru's

I've a user wanting to create a rectangular helix. I thought the VSS would have been the way to go, and perhaps it still is and I am having tunnel vision and can't think "outside the box" at the moment. Is this possible? I'm think yes, but can't think of how.

WF4 M220

Jeff Horacek

Global CAD Administrator/Design Change Coordinator

STERIS Corporation

5900 Heisley Rd.

Mentor, OH 44060

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

You can make it with a VSS but it's more involved and difficult that just using the helical sweep.

Some of the methods I knowto useVSS for a helical feature are:

1. create the helical drive curve with an equation. Then simply run the VSS thru it.

2. create intersections on a cylindrical solid or surface. Copy the curves using "approximate" instead of "exact" for use as the VSS drive curve.

3. If you have ISDX use "Curve on Surface" thru known points on the center plane(I.E. pitch value of the spring) and then approximate that curve for use as the VSS drive curve.

There are a number of similar variations of the three above. But those above should get you in the gate.

Helical sweep as surface

Rectangular extrude surface along axis of previous feature

Create intersect curve between the two

Use curve as sweep profile

See attached image

Cheers, Sean

Whoops! images where in the wrong order in my attachment.

Top Tags