cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Redefine of Feature Shows Dialog Box Not Feature Dashboard

tfilipiak
8-Gravel

Redefine of Feature Shows Dialog Box Not Feature Dashboard

Creo Parametric 4.0.

When editing a part model (that probably was created in an earlier version), a dialog box comes up while redefining the feature instead of a dashboard for some features.  How do I enure that dashboards always come up when redefining features?  The dialog boxes don't show all of the settings and also jump to collapsing menus!

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

it's correct behavior. If you redefine old feature, Creo will show you old user interface.

Martin Hanák

You're kidding right?  Why wouldn't the software upgrade the part and use the new interface (dashboard).  The old style dialog box is so cryptic and cumbersome I can hardly make the changes I want.  And why should I have to know old systems?

Surely there is a way to change this behavior in Creo? 

The software can't upgrade certain features without risk that they would evaluate to a slightly different answer, potentially causing those features or features that depend on them to also be different or to fail.

They created entirely new ways of managing similar features that required entirely new data structures and created new interfaces that support those new data structures; they do not want to create an endlessly expanding pacakge of conversions between potential data structures or to rework interfaces for deprecated features to 'modernize' them.

Reliable re-use of models has been a very strong theme with PTC and this is a solid approach to maintaining that.

Meaningless technobabble.  I've used SolidWorks and Solid Edge for many years and have never experienced this.  Even the most complex models should be able to be updated to the new data structures so the new interface can be used.  This is exactly why I would never use Creo by choice.

@dschenken wrote:

The software can't upgrade certain features without risk that they would evaluate to a slightly different answer, potentially causing those features or features that depend on them to also be different or to fail.

They created entirely new ways of managing similar features that required entirely new data structures and created new interfaces that support those new data structures; they do not want to create an endlessly expanding pacakge of conversions between potential data structures or to rework interfaces for deprecated features to 'modernize' them.

Reliable re-use of models has been a very strong theme with PTC and this is a solid approach to maintaining that.

SW & SE are much younger and haven't been through the multiple, dramatic changes in UI and workflow. I've never used SE, but as long as I've used SW (occasionally since 2005) the UI and workflow hasn't changed dramatically.  Creo & Proe has gone through:

• All cascading menus
  • Cascading plus drop down menus
  • Cascading & drop downs plus icons
  • Primarily icons & drop downs
  • Ribbon interface

Given that what is now simply an extrusion which can add or remove solid material or create a surface or trim a surface was once 4 different features with their own menu structures & workflow (same for a revolve, or complex vs. simple rounds or curve based or pane based drafts), they've done a pretty good job at converting old features to new.  Frankly I very rarely get old menus unless I'm dealing with a very old model.  The exception is redefining a simple sweep, that usually brings up the old side menus (but not the really old cascade only menus).  When the VSS tool was upgraded to allow all sweep types, variable or not, the old constant section sweeps were not merged into the new tool.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags