cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Reference dimension display

joe_c
12-Amethyst

Reference dimension display

Folks

My references dimensions are not showing in parenthesis after applying the config.pro command. Is there something wrong or else i need to do? i login-off with no result

parenthesize_ref_dim yes

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:joe_c)

What version of Wildfire or Creo?
Drawing or model?

For a drawing, set it in your .dtl file.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

Wondering if anyone could help qualify a discussion I have had with a colleague. Is it legal (per ANSI Y14.5) to define an additional tertiary datum plane that is dimensioned from the established datum reference frame (primary, secondary, tertiary) and then dimension from the additional tertiary datum plane? The additional tertiary datum plane may or may not be located on a part feature

[cid:image002.gif@01CDEFDB.C171A820].

Thanks, Happy Friday!!
Patrick Fariello
CommScope
1300 E. Lookout Dr. Suite 150
Richardson, TX 75082
JoseResendis
6-Contributor
(To:joe_c)

Hi Patrick,

If all the datums belong to the same part, Not a cast to machining, I
would say NO, The tertiary datum only controls 1 degree of freedom so to
have 2 tertiary datums doesnt
seem logical. In the example you stated where defining datum D is defined
from ABC, then dimension features to D, would still require the tooling
fixture to locate ABC and then D.
I can think of however a couple examples where you could locate D as an
additional datum from ABC and then call out features dimensioned to D in
the feature control frame. But This is an intriguing question. Id like
to see what other inputs you get.

Best Regards,

Jose M. Resendis
Mechanical & Optical Engineering Center (MOEC)
Raytheon - Space & Airborne Systems (SAS)
972-344-2555 office
972-979-5525 cell

"Great execution requires discipline"

Not sure if I fully understand your question, the provided image really did not help much. Sounds like you want to use multiple datum reference frames, where one frame would reference datums A, B & C while the other references datums A, B & D. If so this would be compliant with Y14.5, some designs require multiple frames for one reason or another. But you must keep in mind that the inspection process would require a different datum reference simulation for each frame and if one of the frames references a datum that does not exist on the part you will not be able to simulate it.

Thank you, Jim Flores
Mechanical Designer / CAD administrator
Sustaining Engrg, Philips Healthcare, PCCI
Hospital Respiratory Care
2271 Cosmos Court
Carlsbad, CA. 92011
-<">mailto:->

I agree with Jose's post. Moreover, a datum frame is 3 mutually perpendicular datum planes, in the spirit of a four legged chair has 3 legs that locate it to the floor. The forth can be measured to but it is not controlling.

Ross H. LIberty

Top Tags