cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Removing External References?

doneill
12-Amethyst

Removing External References?

I have some simple parts that are used in a number of places.  In the Reference Viewer I see a lot of External References...

Is there a way to remove or break these references?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:doneill)

The only method I know of is to edit the features and sketches to remove external references and create internal references as needed.  This is usually not to hard if the references are not copied edges or surfaces.

There is always more to learn in Creo.

Hi, 

Take a look at this post. There are some techniques mentioned in the post that may help you out. 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Assembly-Design/Break-direct-external-reference/m-p/681410#M20832

@kdirth is correct about redefining the features so that they are self-contained within the part. Another thing you can do is use the collapse command to make the features independent. Generally speaking, this method is a bit crude and is prone to issues but it does the job in some situations. You just need to be careful with holes. 

Ty

doneill
12-Amethyst
(To:Tdaugherty)

Thanks for the replies....

I need to improve my understanding of what CREO is doing here...

In my part, I can go to the Reference Viewer and set the Scope to External...

Then I find that the only "Type" reference in this part is "Placement".

Is this normal?  Does a part need to carry this information with it for every time it's used?

Thanks

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:doneill)

The placement references only show when you have an assembly model in session that contains the part.  They are not part of the part file.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
doneill
12-Amethyst
(To:kdirth)

Ok... I see... 

That's helpful... Thank you!

Top Tags