cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Rename step files with the same name

MarianaSousa
13-Aquamarine

Rename step files with the same name

Hello,

So I have an assembly and i want to export to step file, but all my files has to come with this name: MX_Revision_A_18_06_2020.step. How can I do that? Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance 🙂

Mariana Sousa

Thank you in advance
Mariana Sousa
9 REPLIES 9

@MarianaSousa wrote:

Hello,

So I have an assembly and i want to export to step file, but all my files has to come with this name: MX_Revision_A_18_06_2020.step. How can I do that? Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance 🙂

Mariana Sousa

Hi,

1.] you have to explain procedure for name generation (in detail)

2.] you have to create macro for STEP export

Martin Hanák

Hi,

Example of data: main assembly "Molde_10.asm" with 3 parts "100.prt"; "200 .prt"and "101.prt". I want to export to STEP file, and yes I already have a mapkey to export to step. But i want to export all my files with the name "Molde_10_today_date_rev_A.stp", "100_today_date_rev_A.stp", "200_today_date_rev_A.stp", and "101_today_date_rev_A.stp". 

The sufix "_today_date_rev_X.stp "will change all at once "X_today_date_rev_X.stp". 

With my mapkey files are generated with this name "Molde_10_top.stp", "100_prt.stp", "100_prt.stp" and "101_prt.stp".

If I do "Save as" i know that i can choose the name file, but it takes lot of time if i have many subassemblies or parts. 

Thank you in advance
Mariana Sousa

@MarianaSousa wrote:

Hi,

Example of data: main assembly "Molde_10.asm" with 3 parts "100.prt"; "200 .prt"and "101.prt". I want to export to STEP file, and yes I already have a mapkey to export to step. But i want to export all my files with the name "Molde_10_today_date_rev_A.stp", "100_today_date_rev_A.stp", "200_today_date_rev_A.stp", and "101_today_date_rev_A.stp". 

The sufix "_today_date_rev_X.stp "will change all at once "X_today_date_rev_X.stp". 

With my mapkey files are generated with this name "Molde_10_top.stp", "100_prt.stp", "100_prt.stp" and "101_prt.stp".

If I do "Save as" i know that i can choose the name file, but it takes lot of time if i have many subassemblies or parts. 

Hi,

my first idea ...

1.] open Molde_10.asm

2.] change working directory to empty auxiliary directory

3.] Save As assembly into auxiliary directory ... you can modify model names according you needs in Save As dialog box

4.] erase Molde_10.asm from memory

5.] open Molde_10_today_date_rev_A.asm

6.] export Molde_10_today_date_rev_A.asm assembly into STEP

7.] delete files from auxiliary directory

Martin Hanák

The parts that i have at my main assembly won't change to name "molde_10_today_date_rev_A". 

I think that is not a solution for assemblies with one hundred parts/asm.

Are there something to rename all my files after I export them? Maybe a batch  file, I don't know?

Thank you in advance
Mariana Sousa

@MarianaSousa wrote:

The parts that i have at my main assembly won't change to name "molde_10_today_date_rev_A". 

I think that is not a solution for assemblies with one hundred parts/asm.

Are there something to rename all my files after I export them? Maybe a batch  file, I don't know?

Hi,

I uploaded STEP_export.mp4 video showing procedure mentioned in previous reply.

Note: If you decide to rename your files after export, then you have to modify names saved inside STEP files, too.

Martin Hanák

Additional note:

Creo model name length maximum = 31 characters

Martin Hanák

Thank you for your video 🙂

I will test this steps that was on your video in a mapkey. 

Thank you in advance
Mariana Sousa

A simple rename insession of your models using CRESON (Open Source Automation for Creo) would be fast and effective - with a final export of the STEP.

basically:

file : open <asyname>

for each parts/assembly....

file : rename <curname> <newfilename> -onlysession true

with a final....

interface : export <newasyname>

With a bit more work you could extract information from the models (parameters/values) and have the entire process automated.

Dave

What is that? an application for Creo? Free?

Thank you in advance
Mariana Sousa
Top Tags