cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Resolution of Image Rotation Problem

ptc-5346804
1-Newbie

Resolution of Image Rotation Problem

Hello Everyone,

I am having a problem with rotating an image that I cannot solve. I need to align the image on the plane to the part above it. The problem im having is that the image rotates in big jumps and it will not align. Is there any setting that can be adjusted that will allow this image to rotate with a very fine resolution. Right now we can only rotate it in increments of a couple degrees or so.

Thanks for any help,

Paul

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Antonius,

Thanks for the help. We were able to add a new coordinate system and define the plane with our image from this coordinate system. We can then rotate the definition of the coordinate system and our image rotates with it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Change the image rotation in the image editor (MS Paint or other) so it comes in correctly oriented.

Thanks for the reply Antonius,

We have tried this but we are looking to fit the image to the part very closely and will do this with many images. It would be a long trial and error process to rotate in other software, try in creo, and then repeat until perfect. We did try this briefly and other software does not allow for very fine rotation of images.

We would really like to find a method to finely adjust the image inside CREO.

Thanks again for the help,

Paul

My other suggestion would be to orient the datum plane to which the image is assigned. Defining this plane is not straight forward but it can be done with some support planes. The idea is that the image plane will be oriented to the features of interest where the image is being aligned to. You have greater control of the planes than you do with the image.

Antonius,

Thanks for the help. We were able to add a new coordinate system and define the plane with our image from this coordinate system. We can then rotate the definition of the coordinate system and our image rotates with it.

Nice solution for making a dynamic plane. Thanks for posting that.

GIMP or Adobe Photoshop / Photoshop Elements are able to turn images through very small angles. In some images you can use auto-rotate and it will find a good match for horizontal/vertical for edges in the image. If not, they all allow precision angle measurement, which can be used to set the rotation; in the case of Photoshop the angle as measured is automatically applied to the image rotation box when selected. I forget if GIMP does this.

I mention these because the coordinate system/plane will work OK for images that are good, but if they need to be differentially scaled, deskewed, cropped, or other enhancement, you might need a good image editor.

I'm most happy with Photoshop Elements - it's not very expensive and it was available as a 30 day free trial from Adobe. I'm also OK with GIMP, which is free, but it tends to be slower, though it has more features that P.S.E. If you have money and enough need, then the full version of Photoshop can be worth the price.

For another option: Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/) is free to download and use, has many of the more common features at least, and (for me) is vastly easier to pick up on an occasional basis than GIMP. It at least does fraction-degree rotation.

Top Tags