cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Restricted Parameters in Drawinds

mstary
8-Gravel

Restricted Parameters in Drawinds

Restricted Values can be a powerful tool and a great time-saver, if I could choose variants also in drawings (as in the model).

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
ChrisPLM
9-Granite
(To:mstary)

Hi Martin

not sure I understand the idea. This should be driven by the model anyway.

You can still have parameters with restricted value in the drw file and call them on your drawing but you need to go to parameter window for for it.

I cannot see where this idea can increase productivity.

Best regards

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Chris,

It took me a minute to understand as well.  The point it not to create restricted parameters in the drawing itself, it's to provide the ability to change them in a drawing while still using a drop down instead of manually typing in a value (that may not even be valid).  Essentially make the dropdown in Tools --> Parameters show up any time someone edits a parameter directly on a drawing (that is restricted.)  By the way, editing a model's parameter values directly on the drawing is very common in our environment.

ChrisPLM
9-Granite

Thanks Tom

that have you have over 3000 points and me a lot less lol

That makes sense now

So I vote up

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The issue I see is predefining all of the parameters and their related values. I did try to use restricted parameters for sheet metal thickness and it did not work. PTC will need to redesign the interaction for this idea to actually work. Also remember that the file is only read in at Creo startup, so any changes will require a restart of Creo. I have users who stay logged on for weeks despite my asking them to log out daily and reboot at least weekly.

ChrisPLM
9-Granite

Hi Ben

I cannot take a screenshot but you can force to upload the restricted list of parameter.

It is in one of the menu of the Parameter Window.

Best regards

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Keep in mind that you only need the text file present while actually defining the restricted parameter.  Once it's been created, it's definition is stored in the model.  For a list of options that (almost) never change, this works really well by simply creating one time in your start parts.  Obviously if users need to create these parameters on the fly, then the file needs to be accessible and enabled for all users all the time.

I totally agree that PTC needs to develop a better method to create and update these.  Some method that doesn't rely on a specially formatted text file.

Top Tags