cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Restricted Parameters?

msteffke
13-Aquamarine

Restricted Parameters?

The PTC help seems extremely limited on this topic.   So this Restricted_Params.dat file is read upon opening Creo.  What if you have the same parameter in multiple parts, and each part has different restrictions?    Also can I apply the restrictions to existing legacy parts/assys that already contain these parameters?   Can they apply to Layouts? 

7 REPLIES 7
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:msteffke)

Nothing changes unless you want it to.  If the contents of a restricted parameter file changes you do have the option to update the model to the new definition, but this is only on command.

Having different values in different parts is not a problem.  You just have to modify the file and restart Creo before attempting to create a different "version" of the values in a different part.

Restricted parameters can apply to anything that has parameters.  If by layouts you mean the new "notebooks", then yes.

msteffke
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomU)

"Having different values in different parts is not a problem.  You just have to modify the file and restart Creo before attempting to create a different "version" of the values in a different part."

That's rather unfortunate.   This restriction thing can be a game changer.   But this type of implementation seems pretty limited.  

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Maybe you are not understanding what is being restricted?

The restricted_params.dat file presents a restricted list of option values for a given parameter. In my case, we have several authorization letters from the Department of Energy to classify our drawings to. I have a parameter called Authority and in the restricted_params.dat file I have the authorization code depending on which is needed, I also have a default value set that we use 85% of the time. If a different authorization is needed, the user selects the proper one from a drop down in the parameter editor table. No typing to miss enter the code and no manual entry allowed for that parameter. Only one of the approves authorization codes must be used.

msteffke
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

That's an interesting use.   I'm thinking in terms of a Pro Notebook that has hundreds of parameters, generally controlling a final assembly.  For the most part we load the parameters using pro toolkit functionality.  And then follow up with some manual tweaking if required.  We don't modify params thru the interface.  They are located all over the notebook input, you just dbl click and modify.     The params already all exist in all these legacy layouts, and for many products its likely many are the same parameter name, but the restrictions would vary by product.  I'd really have to dig into these to see how they worked with our current system. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I guess it depends on whether your users are creating parameters or just setting parameter values.  Big difference here.  In our case, I create all the parameters in advance (template models and drawings).  The users are only choosing (pre-defined) values or creating new models based on these start parts.  They almost never need to actually create a new parameter and therefore don't need access to (or knowledge of) the restricted parameters file.

msteffke
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomU)

Im thinking in terms of applying this to existing product lines that are already semi automated.  New product development going forward you could use specific enough parameter names to make it more effective, if the restrictions appeared using dbl click edit mode.  I'm not in Creo 3 fully yet , I need to test some of this.  Basically Notebook needs to be a GUI interface creator that looks like classic Visual Basic.  That would solve all my problems. As well as anyone looking to easily auto-configure dynamically changing product with non-finite options.    Notebook has the power parameter designation down to any and all subordinates, but the input using cad graphics is ancient and HORRIBLE. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Nope, these aren't going to do what you want.  You don't get a drop down in "drawing mode".  You only get the drop down when the parameters dialog is open.  If a restricted parameter is displayed as a note or table cell, you can still type in the value, but you can only type in valid values.  You don't get a drop down or any kind of hints.  You're probably better off building your own custom interface at that point.

Top Tags