cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Revolved Cut as a custom hole feature

chewdogg02
1-Newbie

Revolved Cut as a custom hole feature

Hey guys.

Im going through a model for a new customer. I do an edit definition on a Hole feature and it turns out to be a revolved cut for a O-Ring Groove. Im used to the Hole features being used for..... holes. I have never seen a Hole feature used to create a revolved cut. I have another model that is doing the same thing only the sketch is a really complicated revolved cut.

My question is. Is this use of the hole feature fairly common and I just havent worked for a place that does this or am I looking at some poor modeling practices?

Thanks

DaveC

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:chewdogg02)

David Cress,

This is a common thing. There are times when the contour of the hole is not
"standard" and it makes sense to put it in as a hole. With a hole feature it
is much easier to pattern the feature.

Michael P. Locascio

Hi David,

Its a fairly common practice to use the hole tool and generate a revolved
profile in the sketch option.

Best Regards,

Jose

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I personally wouldn't use it unless it was with respect to some sort of hole type feature but I wouldn't consider it wrong or even poor practice, but it could be confusing.

I use the sketched hole often because of how we manufacturing some of our components. Most of our milled components use remainder depth from the flat datum (bottom of the part). The importance of the c'bore on a hole has nothing to do with the top so I use the sketched hole feature to dimension my c'bore from the bottom of the part. It allows me to use show dimensions as well, which I prefer to attempt to move towards a model based environment. It captures design intent and manufacturing method in one single feature with tolerances and all!

One time that I have found this sketched hole not only best practice but, extremely useful.

Michael Ohlrich, Design Engineer
Benchmade Knife Company
mohlrich@benchmade.com<">mailto:mohlrich@benchmade.com>
(503) 655-6004 x122

[cid:image001.jpg@01CFC2AE.5BA4D1A0]
www.benchmade.com<">http://www.benchmade.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, (or authorized to receive for the recipient) you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments and contact the sender by reply e-mail or telephone (503) 655-6004).

I have definitely used the "hole" feature many times to make other things than holes. It can be much nicer to work with when patterning these features than having to pattern many datum planes and etc. if you were to create the feature using a Revolved Cut. Example, making dimpled golf ball like surface on a contoured grip.

I agree with Steve that this is confusing, but would go farther and say it is a poor practice because it is confusing as I would not be looking for a hole feature for a revolved cut of an 'o' ring groove. If this is associated with a hole and its pattern than it can be pattern by reference to the hole. I would be open to hear a good reason to model this way, but nothing comes to mind to support this so far. My 2 cents.

Mark A. Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel International
-

dgallup
4-Participant

On justification could be tha ability to use hole tables on drawings. Pro/E won't put revolved cuts into the table.

In Reply to Mark Peterson:

I agree with Steve that this is confusing, but would go farther and say it is a poor practice because it is confusing as I would not be looking for a hole feature for a revolved cut of an 'o' ring groove. If this is associated with a hole and its pattern than it can be pattern by reference to the hole. I would be open to hear a good reason to model this way, but nothing comes to mind to support this so far. My 2 cents.

Mark A. Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel International
-

You know folks...there was a time whe Pro did not have the Hole feature. Creating a "hole" by using an extrude or a revolve is not an invalid technique.

Top Tags