cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

bponnusamy
1-Newbie

SHELL

Hello,

I'm Having a issue using Shell command in Creo 1.0. i'm not able to shell the product it shows the error 

"

Highlighted surfaces are too curved to offset by specified value.

Recommended actions:

Make a quilt from good surfaces, offset the quilt,

make patches over missing surfaces.

But i assure you the product can be shelled I Have already done to similar item to this. Can you guys help me shell the component. If not can anyone Explain me how to do the RECOMMENDED actions told by Creo. I've attached the part file.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Your model is a little convoluted to simply move the "insert here" bar.  What I am saying about the rounds applies even with your argument.

If the shell can successfully make the offset from the outer surface to the inner surface, no problem.  But if the outer round has a smaller radius than the thickness of the shell, it will fail because it doesn't know how to "exclude" the round on the inside and hem the newly created unrounded seams.

Therefore, I agree that I would want to detail as many features as I can before the shell.  In reality, within Creo, it just doesn't work well that way.  The slots you have along the side edge, for instance, need to be modeled after the shell.

Best practice for shell is to lay out the basic shape; test the shell; add feature that may work with shell and test again.  At some point you will realize the limitation.

As for making the part from a surface and providing an offset and ending up with an enclosed volume is a great way to do complex parts.  I do not work on these often enough to make a habit either way.  Personally I like working with solids from the beginning.  It is easy to solidify surfaces into the solid for doing complex trims.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Creo is quite touchy with Shell.  Remove the smaller details and Shell the basic shape.  Rounds too can fail Shell if the radii are too small.  If the radius exists on the outside, it must be able to exist on the inside with the specified shell thickness.

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose I could do what you told i'm giving the radius before the shell so that when it shells i'd have an even wall thickness (it's plastic part) hence shelling in the pre-formed design would be waste.

Can you tell me how to do the Recommended actions told by creo

Make a quilt from good surfaces, offset the quilt,

make patches over missing surfaces.

Thank you

Your model is a little convoluted to simply move the "insert here" bar.  What I am saying about the rounds applies even with your argument.

If the shell can successfully make the offset from the outer surface to the inner surface, no problem.  But if the outer round has a smaller radius than the thickness of the shell, it will fail because it doesn't know how to "exclude" the round on the inside and hem the newly created unrounded seams.

Therefore, I agree that I would want to detail as many features as I can before the shell.  In reality, within Creo, it just doesn't work well that way.  The slots you have along the side edge, for instance, need to be modeled after the shell.

Best practice for shell is to lay out the basic shape; test the shell; add feature that may work with shell and test again.  At some point you will realize the limitation.

As for making the part from a surface and providing an offset and ending up with an enclosed volume is a great way to do complex parts.  I do not work on these often enough to make a habit either way.  Personally I like working with solids from the beginning.  It is easy to solidify surfaces into the solid for doing complex trims.

Thanks

I will make a basic shape shell and go on from there.

just some more info I've attached a similar design with those slots shelled just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks for the Amazing quick replies

Thanks

I will make a basic shape shell and go on from there.

just some more info I've attached a similar design with those slots shelled just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks for the Amazing quick replies

Bravo!  Very nice work.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags