cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

mwinters
1-Newbie

I am working with a rather large assembly (~2500 parts) which has a few machanism constraints starting with a motion skeleton in a lower level assembly and working its way up to the top level assembly. Basically, it's just 4 separate 4-bar linkages, but we have some family tables, flexible components, and what I suspect is some inconsistent assembly constraints. I find that very often the top level assembly mechanisms lock up and it is a several-hour task to simply deploy the mechanisms to the orientation needed. I think it is due to inconsistent constraints (mixing User-Defined constraints with Mechanism constraints). So, I was wondering, has anyone identified some best practices with mechanism constraints? Also, has anyone been able to repeatably resolve the eror message below? It is visible in the ribbon when editing the placement of a component with mechanism constraints:

Best Practices:

#1 for me has been to not use the rigid coordinate system constraint if you want the mechanism to move. As I understand it, a Rigid constraint will lock the placed subassembly in a "fixed" (or rigid) orientation as though it was not a mechanism at all.

#2 (again, for me) is to limit the use of mechanism constraints to only moving bodies, and coordinate system "weld" constraint seems to be the most robust & reliable.

Can anyone offer any other lessons learned? Also, does anyone know why I am getting the error above and how to fix it?

Thanks.

-Mike

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hello Michael and welcome to the forum.

The answer seems to be "snapshots". That is the fastest way to restore a known state. However, you do need to keep up with the snapshots as thing change in your assembly constraints.

I have also learned that setting regen values create new limitations. Snapshots can serve this function.

Top Tags