cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Same parameters on all sheets

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Same parameters on all sheets

How are people using the same data sheet to sheet?

And what I mean is, on my projects I use ~20 sheets on project (all in one DRW). It's a main assembly, some sub assemblies and all the components.

So to be most efficient, I only want to type in say, the project number once and have it on all sheets I create.

I assume most people put their parameters in their models. And that's fine, is that the only way? If I put the parameter in the main assembly will it carry over to all the other sheets in the DRW? I haven;t tried it, but maybe that's the answer.

thanks!

Matt

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Inoram)

Your drawing can access data from any of the models referenced in the drawing.

Are you talking about the data entered in a format as a variable? This probably becomes specific to the active model in the drawing. If the variable does not exist, it is requested and that entry should propagate throughout all the sheets. There are also internal parameters that are Creo specific that can also be accessed.

Remember that parameters are the actual data in Creo files where relations are a means to assign and control parameters. You can create parameters without creating relations.

You can also use template drawings that already have the parameter created so that it i s always used when you start the drawing with that particular template. Again, this parameter shhould be accessible regardless of the active sheet.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

The goal is to have the same 5 or so things that I currently type in every time I create a new sheet (in the same DRW) to automatically populate where as (one way or another) I only have to type them in once per project.

thanks!

Matt

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

I just created an empty drawing and created a string parameter called "project" with a value of "project1"

I then created a note using the parameter "&project" and it appeared as "project1".

I then created a new sheet and again created a note with "&project" and it again appeared as "project1"

So this is without a format. Are you using a format that is requesting this data each time?

Some more testing reveals that the -format file- parameters do not become -drawing file- parameter. However, -drawing file- parameters can be picked up by -format files-.

In fact, the text you enter for a 'new" format (or sheet) simply becomes text, and is not an actual variable any more. Kinda silly but knowing this makes it easier to manage.

So you can create those 5 parameters in your drawing and they will work for every sheet.

I don't see a way to read the parameters into new drawings. This is where the .drw as a template would make it easier to enter this data, but you could enter the same 5 parameters each time. Odd that you can export the data but not import it. Maybe someone will help with a tip on how to do this. Without the ability to create relations in a drawing, I don't know of a better way to create parameters.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I finally got a chance to work on this some Sunday night. Adding parameters to the assembly did exactly what I expected, on sheets where the assembly was active it works, but on sheets with other models active the parameters aren't there.

It looks like adding right to the DRW works great, and is apparently the simple answer that I managed to overlook.

So agreed I am thinking a template with the parameters will probably be the most efficient for me.

Thanks!

SylvainA.
4-Participant

I would have created a drawing template which includes the drawing parameters and use a drawing format that calls these parameters.

New drawings should be created upon this template.

I have never tried to do that but i'm pretty sure it will work.

Sylvain... yes,that is what I was trying to say. This works perfectly.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:SylvainA.)

Yup, that sounds like probably the way to do it.

Thanks for the input.

Top Tags