cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Sheet Metal Mass Issue

SB3
4-Participant
4-Participant

Sheet Metal Mass Issue

Hello Guys, I'm with a problem when I calculate the mass os my part.

If I calculate the mass of my part I get the values that you can see in picture 1 (attachments) and this value is wrong (I calculated the value of blank)

If I calculate the value of the flat (same part), than the value is correct (Picture 2 - attachments). I can't understand why...

3 REPLIES 3
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:SB3)

The flat will be the correct weight. Creo doesn't take in to account the thinning or stretching of the sheet metal when it is formed. The constant thickness on the formed part is maintained and therefore there is an amount of volume that is added.

SB3
4-Participant
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Thanks for the explanation Stephen Williams

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:StephenW)

Well, whether the material stretches or compresses on either side of the neutral axis, while the volume may change EXTREMELY slightly (the metal compressing on the inside of the neutral axis etc. - might not even be measurable), in REAL life the MASS itself doesn't change.  HOWEVER, since Creo (or any other CAD program that I know of) does NOT thin the model out in the bend area, I would think that when it adds a bend, there is a slight volume increase in the bent area, and when a form is used the material is not stretched and thinned, and that's probably what is throwing the mass calculation after the bends off.  Honestly, since the flat pattern is usually created AFTER the bent shape, which is more accurate?  Hmmm...  I think if the mass is critical (i.e. NASA work like I was doing), it's probably best to actually make a part that conforms to print, weigh it, then assign a fixed mass to it, and that shouldn't change whether it's a flat state or not.

I'm not an expert in sheet metal though, so...

Top Tags