cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Sheetmetal to Solid Geometry?? Is this possible?

ptc-3094489
1-Newbie

Sheetmetal to Solid Geometry?? Is this possible?

Is it possible to convert a sheetmetal part into solid geometry? I have multiple sheetmetal parts in an assembly that I need to "cut-out" from another part in preparation for CFD. I am using Wild Fire 4 it that matters. Thanks in advance. Hatch
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Hatch, Were the "sheetmetal" parts created using the ProE sheetmetal module with a first wall and other sheetmetal features? If they were, then they are solid geometry. The sheetmetal part(s) in an assembly can be used to create a cut out to another part in assembly mode using Edit>Component Operations>Cut Out. Regards-

My guess is that these parts were started as solid extrusions and later converted to sheetmetal parts. From within an assembly I could neither Edit >> Component Operations >> Cut Out nor Edit >> Component Operations >> Merge using these parts. Pro/E would report back that these parts were 'invalid selections'. I finally ended up remodeling the parts to solve the problem. But now that I have the cut out working, I have a different problem, which is neither Gambit, EnSight nor CFdeisgn will read in the geometry so I can begin meshing.
Top Tags