cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Sketches - Fillets don't Offset

mstevens
2-Guest

Sketches - Fillets don't Offset

I am new to Creo. I am trying to figure out why fillets don't offset. Here is what I mean...

1. Create a sketch.

2. Create a rectangle.

3. Fillet each corner of the rectangle

4. Click Offset

5. Select Loop from the "Type" dialog

6. Select one side of the rounded rectangle

7. Type a value for the offset such that the offset is inside the original rounded rectangle and hit enter.

Step 7 yields a "rectangle" for me; i.e. corners are perpendicular not rounded.

If...

7. Type a value for the offset such that the offset is OUTSIDE the original rounded rectangle and hit enter.

Then Step 7 yields a rounded rectangle.

Is this a feature or a bug?

Thanks

Melvin

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:mstevens)

Without seeing what you are actually doing it sounds like you are offsetting to create an inner loop with a value equal to or greater than the fillet radius. In this case you will get a square.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:mstevens)

Without seeing what you are actually doing it sounds like you are offsetting to create an inner loop with a value equal to or greater than the fillet radius. In this case you will get a square.

Yes is seems that if the offset is >= the fillet radius, that the fillet on the offset is just deleted and replaced perpendicular lines. Will try to post pictures later.

You are right, this does seem to be a bug. I can select the wall, fillet, wall and it works fine, but remove one of the walls and the feature fails. Care to report it as a bug?

Confirmed in Creo 2.0 F000

As an indiviual surface, the fillet (round) does offset. I get the failure in either direction if the round is one of the edge boundries. It appears to require bounding on both straight edges.

offset_issue_creo2.jpg

Left: Offset edit with only 2 surfaces selected; right: additional surface selected. Both have preview enables.

It doesn't know how to deal with the tangency. It should just default to a shear but it doesn't. If you have a non-tangent edge, it works fine. Still something that could use an enhancement.

The issue is not limited to rounds. It "fails" even with a sketched tangent radius.

Working_edge.JPG

For what you are doing you need to copy the individual surfaces first then offset the copy. However, based on his description you're not doing the same thing although you can see a similar result by selecting the intent surface.

Top Tags