cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Slope value instead of angle

sbhushankumar
1-Newbie

Slope value instead of angle

Is it possible to give slope value directly instead of coverting them into angle by taking tan inverse of the slope.For e.g : I want a line inclined to horizontal having a slope of (1/4).Now I dont want to take out my calculator and find out the angle, I just want to put in the slope value.

I have attached one such drawing where the dimensions are given in the slope form.Please suggest me as I am new to this software.

Thank You

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pretty sure you can use inline functions, such as atan(1/4), which returns the angle in degrees. Instead of entering a number, type the function. It may prompt you to add this as a relation, so that you can edit the fraction later on if you want.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

You cannot do this directly that I know of. I have had to do this before. in the sketch I use construction geometry to set the slop. A vertical line of "1" horizontal line of "4" and use the diagonal vertex of each to define the sloping line. With these values, I also have the data I need to create the callout for the drawing.

Dear Antonius,

That would take extra bit of doing but I guess that is the only solution to this.Thank you for your helpful reply

Regards

Shashi.

Certainly easier than calculating each angle

I like using geometry to define sketches whenever possible.

slope_sketch.PNG

Pretty sure you can use inline functions, such as atan(1/4), which returns the angle in degrees. Instead of entering a number, type the function. It may prompt you to add this as a relation, so that you can edit the fraction later on if you want.

Nice trick, David. That works fine!

thanks david...came to know that we can add directly functions in number input area

Yes that is wroking really fine.

Thank you David and Antonius

atan() also completed my equation for the involute curve by solving angle a-c in a right triangle a, b, c.

Involute Curve Equation <= trailangle

Top Tags