cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Solid "Deep Drawing" (how to?)

ptc-4988041
1-Newbie

Solid "Deep Drawing" (how to?)

Hi all,

I modelled a flat "expanded metal" grid as a solid part:

expanded-metal-sample.jpg

Now i would like to deep drawn it in order to give it this shape:

prova-bend.jpg

I already tryed the toroidal bend feature but I think I can only bend it around a trajectory (2D) and not deep drawn it (3D deformation).

I'm using Creo 2 Parametric

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
40 REPLIES 40

Try this:

Oh, Frank... at least post us a picture and a synopsis

Frank, your method is close and a lot more controllable than the Warp feature.

You can see that the edges still deform (the process is still X-Y "linear" rather than spherical).

In this case, I use a 10" disk, .1" thick wrapped on a 5" spherical radius. At the tighter bend, the difference becomes more notable. You can see the variation beyond the revolved cut.

However, with the revolved cut, you can definitely get this part a lot closer than the Warp feature does with a whole lot more control.

double_spinal_bend.PNG

Creo 2.0 full versioin attached.

But maybe I spoke too soon... the deformation is not the same in both directions:

double_spinal_bend_ii.PNG

I guess this answers the other question: why doesn't toroidal bend not work...

Answer: it seems to do exactly what the double spinal bend does except a little simpler. But the distortion is still unacceptable.

double_spinal_bend_iii.PNG

Its the golf ball all over again!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Yeah, I didn't get much time here to play with it. Davide said the toroidial bend didn't work, so I tried something else. Was just trying to sneak it in. I figured a toroidial bend SHOULD work, but didn't try it since I assumed he tried it.

Well, when you bend something that's already slitted and stretched, I'm not sure it'd really matter, because the deep drawing process itself is going to distort the mesh. It should work fine for what it sounds like he's trying to do. Hope he can find somethig to use out of this!

This is just too much fun

This is a dome trimmed to a 90 degree cone angle. A close look will show the rotation axis of the toroidal bend, but in general, this is a very exceptable model.

toroidal_bend_screen.PNG

Creo 2.0 full version and 3D pdf attached

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Awesome! Well, if this isn't good enough I don't know what would be! Great job! I figured it could be done!

This has been very interesting to follow. Thanks for the insights everyone. I decided to play with Rohit's method since it was new to me as well and you can get some very interesting results. This is obviously stretching the limits of what can be done in real life (pun intended), but interesting nonetheless.

deep_draw.JPG

Edited: Added file

This SO! needs a document

One last step... use a symmetrical warp to adjust for the bunching of the toroidal bend.

warp_with_symmetry_applied.PNG

warp_with_symmetry_applied_II.PNG

warp_with_symmetry_applied_3view.PNG

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags