cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Sprocket Teeth

shazim
1-Newbie

Sprocket Teeth

Hi everyone!

I was hoping some can help me with a modeling issue; I'm trying to replicate a bicycle sprocket but i can't get the teeth right. I've attached a few photos. The teeth on my model keep coming out too sharp unlike the smooth curve of the sprocket. teethprob.pngPhoto Aug 11, 1 18 16 PM.jpgsprocket+web.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Are you using standard engineering gear fundamentals to drive your choices in geometry creation?  It looks like you have the right curve, but the tip diameter to pitch or something along those lines isn't working out for you.

It's been a while since my mechanical eng undergrad, but perhaps this reference can help? http://www.molenberg.nl/downloads/Chain%20rexnord%20Auslegung%20Kettentrieb%20(En).pdf

- Jim

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:shazim)

Bicycle chain rings are a strange animal when it comes to design.  They have very little logic to the shape of the cut.  And often, they are not even the same.  Much of these deviations are accounted for in the quest for quick and smooth shifting.

In general, you simply need an 8mm pocket on a 1/2" cord length along the chain-line diameter.  You can treat the ends any way you like as long as they miss the incoming and exiting chain roller.

Try putting your picture on a plane and just overlaying a model to get a feel for the true geometry.

Top Tags