cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are working to address an issue with subscription email notifications. In the meantime, be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

Start Part

pdabrowski
2-Guest

Start Part

Is the a method of determinating the name of a start part used to create a new part.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Peter, Yes, use the config option template_solid_part. Backing up a little, it is also useful to consider where your start part is located. Many users create a file structure for such things outside the default proe directory (e.g.proeWildfire 3.0\templates) so that defaults of all kinds are independent and don't need to be reset when new versions of ProE are loaded. For example, my start parts are in the directory C:\PRO_FILES\Start_Models. This directory is called using another config option, start_model_dir. (You could just copy the default inlbs_part_solid.prt to such a directory and modify it according to your needs and not bother with the first config option for calling a part of a different name.) I also recommend having several special start parts for different general starting shapes, situations, etc. For instance I have block.prt, pin.prt, tube.prt, etc. for different starting shapes. David

David, Thanks for the tips. We have several start parts, and I'm trying to figure out which of these start parts was used to create a different part. Peter

Peter, I guess I misunderstood your question. Not sure how to go backwards in time; I couldn't find a trace in the text file for a similar part. However, for the future you might just include a parameter in all your start parts, say STRT_PRT_ID, and give that parameter a unique identifying value for each start part. David

Peter, I'm curious about why you need to know which start part was used for a particular part, though I have no great need to know. Anyway, if the start parts are really different, you should be able to tell by looking at the initial features in the model tree of the new part which start part was used to create it. David

"David Butz" wrote:

Peter, I guess I misunderstood your question. Not sure how to go backwards in time; I couldn't find a trace in the text file for a similar part. However, for the future you might just include a parameter in all your start parts, say STRT_PRT_ID, and give that parameter a unique identifying value for each start part. David

often some glimpse of a part's history can be gained via Info / Audi Trail - chnages due to either a client machine name or user name are recorded in this manner...
Top Tags