cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Step files keep importing with "temp" part numbers

kleind
3-Visitor

Step files keep importing with "temp" part numbers

So first I open an assembly from my company's windchill database, and generally the first thing I do after pulling a model is I export it to step file because the models directly from windchill have purple lines that ruin any "no hidden" line art I try to create for technical illustrations...that's another problem...moving on.

So after I've exported the assembly to a step file in the project folder, I try to go in and open it but instead of showing the part numbers in the model tree, every single part in the assembly has been replaced with a sequential nonsense number that is absolutely no help for working with the model. I've checked my export options, and I do not know how to fix this.

So far the only thing I've found is that the correct part numbers are now stored in the "layer names" column, but that is really inconvenient and I wish they'd just stick with the parts themselves in the hierarchy. Also, when opening the step file I see: "Processing __tmp__name__. Step 59: 100 percent completed" or something similar. It seems to be giving the parts "temporary" names. Why? I'm using Creo Parametric 2.0 on Windows 7 Enterprise.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:kleind)

When windows are closed in Creo, the parts and assemblies aren't closed.  They remain "in session", meaning in memory just not displayed on screen.

What sounds like is happening is that you open the files from Windchill, export as a STEP file, close the window and then try to import the STEP file.  But, because you've only closed the window and not actually erased the files from memory, Creo cannot re-use the file names so it assigns new names.

That explains the original problem, why restarting Creo works and why re-opening the STEP file doesn't.

Try clearing the memory (File > Manage Session > Erase Not Displayed) to help your original problem. 

For re-opening the STEP file, try re-opening the actual assy from memory instead.  In the File Open dialog, look for "In Session" in the "Common Folders" list on the left.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I see what you are asking for and I don't have an answer, but it really looks like you want a solution to a work-around instead of a solution to your real problem?

Why do you say your models directly from windchill have purple lines?  Purple lines normally mean you are dealing with surface models. I can help you turn the purple lines white if you like. Or maybe we change a few options to fix the no hidden line are you are trying to create.

Maybe I'm completely off-base, if so, please excuse my intrusion.

kleind
3-Visitor
(To:StephenW)

My company's Creo setup is managed at a global level and I cannot make the adjustments to those lines myself (the config files are, for the most part, locked). Additionally, the models are mostly locked and I do not have rights to go making changes just for my needs (I am a technical illustrator). So there is a bit more behind exporting to a step file, but currently that is the best workflow my department has. So I understand there are workarounds around this greater "problem", but this is not so much a problem to me as is my step files being messed up.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Could it be that it cannot create parts with those numbers because they already exist, so it pulls a numerical sequence of the next available numbers?

Oddly enough, if I restart Creo it will open the step file with the proper part numbers, so there may be something to what you say.

The interesting thing is that after I've opened the step file once, it won't open it again with the right part numbers....so is there any way to clear this "cache" without having to restart Creo?

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

When windows are closed in Creo, the parts and assemblies aren't closed.  They remain "in session", meaning in memory just not displayed on screen.

What sounds like is happening is that you open the files from Windchill, export as a STEP file, close the window and then try to import the STEP file.  But, because you've only closed the window and not actually erased the files from memory, Creo cannot re-use the file names so it assigns new names.

That explains the original problem, why restarting Creo works and why re-opening the STEP file doesn't.

Try clearing the memory (File > Manage Session > Erase Not Displayed) to help your original problem. 

For re-opening the STEP file, try re-opening the actual assy from memory instead.  In the File Open dialog, look for "In Session" in the "Common Folders" list on the left.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Doug, thank you so much! That was exactly the problem. Not only does clearing the memory fix the issue, the ability to load from session is super helpful. (I didn't know about either of those options). I figured it was a "working memory" problem but I had no idea how to fix it. Thanks!

Top Tags