cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Steps to creating a Top-Down Assembly

fgallagher
4-Participant

Steps to creating a Top-Down Assembly

I have the basic understanding of how to create the Top-Down Assembly:

create master assembly

create any sub-assemblies

create skeletons

create parts

I would like to have a general feel for how much should be done with the skeletons. I have seen as little as just references to full out sketches of the entire shell of an object. For me, I am creating a weldment of a tube with steel plates welded to it. This will be one assembly, one skeleton, 7 models. I was going to create the skeleton of the tube, OD and the ID extrusion, then create the reference planes for where the plates would be welded. My thinking was we typically change the location of the plates so by putting these planes on the skeleton I would only have to revise the location of the plane to change the location of the plate for the entire assembly. Also, when doing the model for the tube, I merged the tube extrusion from the skeleton into the tube model to add further machining on this, but now the assembly goes from gray to gray with blue stripes on it. Why is this happening?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Technically, you will have a top-down dependency if you tie any part to another part through an assembly or use any "external references" from outside any individual part. Managing this is the real challenge. The optional extension is suppose to help with this.

Top Tags