cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Subtract multiple quilts from Solid?

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Subtract multiple quilts from Solid?

I have an application where I need to subtract numerous custom made counter bore holes from a solid.

I am seeing that doing multiple quilt solidify subtracts is not possible.

I really don't want to single select subtract numerous quilts as the time and history tree would be extensive.

These are quilts because I needed to bring the holes in as merged components and needed to populate and reposition them after insertion.

I can't just build simple holes because most of them are oblonged in shape.

Am I missing an easier way to do this process?

As you can see in the picture I have subtracted the top left hole.

Hole Subtract.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:pimm)

Nope, this is pretty much how it's done - one at a time. To speed things up make a mapkey that calls solidify - cut, then calls itself again. Once started you just keep picking quilts (have the smart filter set to quilt) and as fast as you an pick them they will remove material. Once done, simply group the features in the model tree.

There are some games you can play to merge all the quilts into a single one, but in this application if probably won't help you.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

Thanks a lot Tom.

I just made my 1st Mapkey and it considerably shortens the process.

I still wish there was a select all quilts and Solidify Remove.

ategen
3-Visitor

Here is how I solidify multiple quilts:

Export all quilts as an IGES file (check box for customize export, select only the quilts)

Import the IGES file. Choose remove material. All quilts in the IGES will be cut out at once.

Cheers

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

From what I see, you could add a "C" shaped quilt that intersected all the counterbore holes, merge that into one quilt, and "solidify/cut" it all at once.  You might have to do a couple merges, but it would work.  And, unlike the IGES method, it would remain parametric.

Top Tags