cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Summary: Pattern With Rotation

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Summary: Pattern With Rotation

Thanks to Rui Vaz for the solution in the attached model.

What is needed is:

1.  Sketched points in the locations I want them.
  2.  A sketched curve defining the normal for my feature orientation (I had to convert all sketch entities to a spline to get it to work).
  3.  Another set of points created by a point pattern on top of the sketched points.
  4.  Create a datum plane through the first of the patterned point and normal to the sketched spline.
  5.  Use that plane as the reference plane for the sketched features I wanted to rotate.
  6.  Group the features and reference pattern the group.

I hadn't included step #3, I was using a point pattern on my features directly from the sketched points.

--
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
3 REPLIES 3

Thanks Doug for sharing and thanks to Rui Vaz for the solution. SWEET!!!

I will miss this type of networking, assistance, education and helping others where I can when the exploder goes down.

Mark Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel International

Hi everyone.

Maybe it's a little late, as there has already been a summary posted...

Anyway, here's an idea that worked with my part:

I created the curve as sketch (straight lines), including the points.

I added a csys on the first point, one axis normal to the sketching plane, one normal to the sketched line.

Then I point-patterned the csys activating the option "Follow curve direction"

Finally an axis through the x-axis of the first csys, reference pattern it

Done.

Have a good one.

brthompson
5-Regular Member
(To:dgschaefer)

Doug,

How about this approach? Only an internally embedded point in the extrude is used - the dimension to position the point can be used to drive the pattern. Of course the point dimension could be along the curve or from an absolute reference, as I've done.

Brian

Brian Thompson
SVP, PTC Creo Product Management
781-370-5583
Top Tags