cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Surface Modeling,Wildfire 3.0,RETURN ON INVESTMENT NUMBERS

ptc-3121412
1-Newbie

Surface Modeling,Wildfire 3.0,RETURN ON INVESTMENT NUMBERS

I am a program coordinator who is trying to obtain information to complete an Return On Investment for my engineering team to have training using Wildfire 3.0. Does anyone know where I can get information regarding average eficiency/productivity increase so that I can justify the cost and therefore send my team?
4 REPLIES 4

That's an ambiguous question. Increase vs......what? Board drafting? Vs. AutoCAD? Solidquirks? It depends on the type of work you do. Also, some people simply cannot think in 3D anyways. Some users just don't get it. In some cases, I've actually found AutoCAD being much faster if all you want is drawings, not models.

I realize that it is difficult quantification. However, there has to be statics somewhere showing an average increase. Althought I should have mentioned that I am posing the question if referance to experienced engineers proficient in desiging in pro e wildfire 3.0 and they are to upgrade using surfacing modeling.

Each type of modeling has a purpose. Surface modeling is great for items that are very difficult to model using solids. A shampoo bottle is a great example of surface modeling. On a ROI, you have to look at the case that most of the training will not be retained especially if the users are not going to use the training right away at their desk. Many times company budgets are setup for yearly training of their staff, so if this fits in that case, then an ROI is not really needed. If one of your projects needs surface modeling, then time would be saved if a user goes to training. It is probably a tad more time saved then spent relative to the training cost. If the training is three days, then you might save four to five days in company time. Now if the user is completely new to Pro-E, then that is a new ballgame.

Crystal, I don't think the statistics really do exist to easily answer your question. The question is too broad, there is a lot of complexity involved, and the actual design needs are so different project to project and company to company. That said, as someone who has used Pro/E for well over 10 years (and did Pro/E training for 6 years), I can't recommend strongly enough that at least one or two of your most proficient folks get trained in Surfacing. If they aren't yet acquainted with Surfacing functionality, they will discover a huge expansion in modelling capability if they get training. Why don't you start with one or two users and let them tell you what your ROI might be? David
Top Tags